Jd 717a?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bucknut3, May 9, 2007.

1. bucknut3

bucknut3 LawnSite Member
    from IL

I just bought a JD 717A z-track. I have only mowed a couple times with it so far. After mowing a small field ( about 45 min mowing time) that was real dusty I decided to wash it off. I blew everything off with the air compressor. When I sprayed the wheels off with water I noticed that the center hub of the wheel motor was very hot. So hot that it boiled the water off as soon as it hit it. Is this normal for a z-turn? I checked the brakes, but they did not seem to be draging, and everything operates well when mowing. Thanks for any help.

2. chammons

chammons LawnSite Member

I have not noticed it on mine. Are both hubs hot or just one? If it is one...I would have it looked at, if both I would be on the phone to my dealer asking questions? Either way I would check the hydro fluid to see if it is low. Let me know what you find out.

3. prosperity

prosperity LawnSite Member

Hydraulic motors will get hot - it's the nature of the beast.

Please, next time, wait until everything cools before washing. Putting cold water on hot items, like spindle bearings and wheel motors, is not a good thing to do - you are forcing a fast temperature change.

4. robbo521

robbo521 LawnSite Senior Member

mine does that and its fine.after a hard day them suckers will be hot.

5. bucknut3

bucknut3 LawnSite Member
    from IL

Thanks for the replies.
    I Did a little test today. I thought some may be interested in the results. I borrowed an infrared thermometer and took some readings of the hubs at intervals of about 10 min of use. I measured at the hub on the outside of the wheel. Start temp was 86 deg on both sides. after 45 minutes the left hub was 107 deg and the right was 142 deg. I checked the actual wheel motor on both sides and they were both 186 deg, and the pump checked at 157 deg. It seems like I may have a brake grabbing slightly on one side? My JD dealer is coming over tomorrow to drop off a seat, and he is going to check it out. Other than that concern I absolutely love this mower. I was debating going with a 757 with the 60" deck, but after using this one a few times I am glad I got the smaller machine.
    Thanks again

6. prosperity

I like your scientific approach in looking for a problem!

I've used an infrared thermometer a few times before when diagnosing hydraulic problems - neat tool.

I bought a 727A last winter - demo unit, and the dealership was chaning hands...all added up to a price I could not refuse. I also had my eye on a 757/60, but after running the 727A for a while now, I just love it.

7. mountianview

mountianview LawnSite Member

Got my 717 yesterday,like it alot so far.a little bumpy on my bumpy lawn going fast.real nice rock solid machine can't wait to break it in ''RAIN''.

8. prosperity

Check your tire pressures - I had to reduce mine to the specs (see chart under the seat frame) - made all the difference in the world as far as the ride on bumpy ground.

9. mountianview

mountianview LawnSite Member

Thanks Ill do that. .8 miles on it,sweet machine.It really likes hanging out with the 36'' wb toro, best friends green ,yellow black and red my favorite colors.

10. Downunder Bob

Downunder Bob LawnSite Member

Are we talking Celsius or Fahrenheit here?