1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

JD 727 Scalping Lawns

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Hadly, Apr 15, 2005.

1. Hadly

Hadly LawnSite Member
    from IL

Anyone else having problems with their Ztrak scalping when you mow over any uneven ground. It is doing it on even small slopes. I have the anti-scalp wheels set in the middle hole according to dealer suggestion. I dont have the deck set too low because it does fine on flat ground. Any suggestions?
  2. gl1200a

gl1200a LawnSite Senior Member

I don't have that problem with mine and I have the wheels also set in the middle position. I just remember that the wider the deck the more chance of scalping as the anti scalp wheels are further apart. Most of my accounts I mow at 2.5 inches also so I'm mowing fairly short.
  3. Hadly

Hadly LawnSite Member
    from IL

I have the 54 inch deck and I was also at 2.5. It just seemed to take it pretty low around the ditch if one side of the deck was higher than the other. Thanks for your reply.
  4. gl1200a

Make sure the deck is level and the blades are cutting level. This will really make a lawn look bad. Do a search in here on deck leveling for the play by play.
  5. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Lower the anti scalp wheels one hole. But watch when you turn you might dig uneven ground.
  6. Hadly

Hadly LawnSite Member
    from IL

This is only the 3rd time I have mowed with it. I just bought it and the dealer supposedly set everything up before delivery. I will lower the wheels down to the bottom hole and give that a try. Thanks
  7. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

Hadly, when I got my 717 brand new the deck was over 3/4 inch off on one side and the tire pressure in 2 was 40 lbs and other 2 were 17 lbs. I got the owners manual and releveled the deck myself and corrected tire pressure and no more problems with uneven cut. Dont trust the dealer to get this right (or mine anyway).
  8. greenescaper

greenescaper LawnSite Member

I have a JD 737 ZTRAK with 60'' deck and the anti-scalp wheels set in the middle also. I am cutting on 3'' for most turf with no scalping problems.....
  9. gl1200a

Poorman's right...don't trust the dealer. His employees may be as experienced as minimum wage allows. F.Y.I. - I also made a dirt cheap striper from a mudflap for about $4.00, trailer hitch and run an electric OCDC on mine also. I love the mower. It mows fast yet still is small enough to fit thru the newer style 60" cyclone fence gates.

JOEWOOD LawnSite Member

Have a JD 737 54" Deck and no such problem!

How much do you weigh?...LOL...Joe :blob3: :blob3: :blob3: