JD 727 vs 737 ZTR

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mkirby, Jun 12, 2006.

1. mkirby

mkirby LawnSite Member

I am looking at a 54 inch deck for either. I demoed the 737 today and it was great but no trim at all. They never had any 727's in, do they have better trim? My dealer said they only special order them b/c everyone wants the 717 or step up to 737.
    Thanks Mike

2. slebeau20

slebeau20 LawnSite Member
    from USA

The biggest difference is in the frame size. If you have commercial properties with curbs you'll see the benefit to the 737.

3. mkirby

mkirby LawnSite Member

I don't see any benefit at all, we have lots of trees and landscaping to go around the 54 in 737 has no trim. Has anyone seen or used the 727A. Does it have more trim then the 737?
    Thanks Mike

4. Raymond S.

Raymond S. LawnSite Senior Member

I drove the 727A last weekend at the dealer, and to be honest w/ you I didn't pay close enough attention to the trim on it. I wish I would have. I ended up going w/ the 757 60" due to the fact that from the 727A w/ 54" to the 757 w/ 60" there was only around $600 difference. Now, keep in mind that was after a great deal of wheelin' N' dealin'. It may be something worth checking into, or maybe that's too big for your applications. Regardless of your application, I think you'd atleast be better off w/ the 737 over the 727A. Worst case you'd atleast go from 21-23hp. (I think that's right?...)

5. gl1200a

gl1200a LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 727A and love it. If you're not going ot the 60" deck then why lug around the larger frame size and extra weight with the same horsepower? The smaller frame of the 727A is great and more nimble.

6. Raymond S.

Raymond S. LawnSite Senior Member

I was wrong, both the 727a and the 737 have the 23hp Kawasaki. With the 737 you have a slightly larger fuel tank (1.5gallons), slightly larger drive tires, the overall length is 4" longer, 1 more m.p.h. on speed, and the added weight is 125lbs. I can't really see 125lbs making that big of a difference. If you see the two side by side, however, there is quite a difference in the make up of the frame. The area where your feet rest is a little bigger on the 737, and the controls are on the side vs. down between your legs on the 727, A bit more easily accessable in my opinion. I think the 737 is quite a bit beefier for the extra cash. But the 727 has got to be a damn good machine either way 'cause they sell alot of them.