JD 737 vs CubCadet M60 Tank

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by calbren, Mar 27, 2005.

1. calbren

calbren LawnSite Member
    from K.C. Mo

Im considering purchasing either the JD 737 or the Cubcadet m60 tank. The Cub has a 1yr prts/labor with the 2nd and 3rd years parts only warranty. The JD has only a 2year labor and parts warranty. The JD has a 23 HP Kaw and the Cub has a 25 HP Kaw. Cub has 14 gal capacity the JD only 9.5. Cub deck is a 7gauge on the deck skirt and a 10 gauge on the top and is fabricated where the JD has a stamped 7 gauge all around. The Cub has a deck that is not able to float where the JD has chains to support the deck allowing it to move. Both dealers are friendly and old friends of mine so service isnt an issue. Cub cadet price is $6900 and the JD is $7300 and will throw in a chainsaw and edger/trimmer ( I dont really need either one but thats his offer).

I feel the JD will have better resale but I doubt if I ever sell. I am leaning towards the JD because JD has a great reputation BUT I really like the idea of having a 3rd year warranty and the extra 2 hp in the cub.

I mow a 4 acre heavily treed and lots of obstacles area with very ruff ground and 2 vacant residential lots. I hire the mowing done using my mower so I want a machine that will take abuse.

Any of you fellas got good advice or suggestions on which mower would be best for me? :dizzy:

2. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Demo both. Both are good, depending on what you want. I prefer the Cub of the two because I'm in the minority (I guess) that thinks the JD cuts like crap. 23hp/54" verses 25hp 60" for less.... no question what I'd get between those two.

The Cub deck IS able to float. In fact, due to the way it is hung, it probably floats better than most stuff on the market, including JD. It just doesn't have those pesky chains for a floatation device. Take another look at it and you will see what I mean. To test the float-ease, when you take them out to demo, adjust the deck down where the guage wheels are close to the driveway/trailer floor. Then try pushing a wooden wedge under the wheel and see how much force is required to cause it to float up.

3. calbren

calbren LawnSite Member
    from K.C. Mo

the JD is also a 60" deck, same as the cub

4. Envy Lawn Service

Oh, I thought the 737 was 54" only. My bad.

23hp 60".... NO THANKS!

Any Kawasaki without canister air filtration.... NO THANKS!

Trust me, I own one and the stock Kawasaki air system sucks. Maybe JD added the canister filter like everyone else has. But I've yet to see one.

5. chefdrp

chefdrp LawnSite Bronze Member

i have the 737 and its a 54 in deck. The 757 is the 60 inch deck with 25 h/p. I also just baught a Lesco ZTWO, Its the same machine as the Cub Tank. I like the cut and finished product of the Cub way more than the 737. And the Lesco was only 5799. :)

6. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

Out of the two i'd go with the Cub. More power for less money, longer warranty, and built just as good as the JD. By the way the Cub deck has a 7 guage plate bolted on top of the 10 guage top.

7. Shawns Lawns

Shawns Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Maine

I demod a cub tank and thought it cut excellent and seemed like a very well built machine. The only reason i did not go with it was because they only had a hopper style collection system. :waving:

8. sawman65

sawman65 LawnSite Senior Member

i don't care for any of the unites listed but of the 2 go with the cub it has a real pump and motor system not an integrated or all in one drive system

9. wissel_landscaping

wissel_landscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from ohio

not only will the cub float up and down it will also float side to side,
    most mowers when you get on uneven ground there is times were the right front tire is on the ground and the left is in the air like when your cutting a hill on a angle when you get to the top one tire will be off the ground the cub will flex so both tires stay on the ground.

10. Envy Lawn Service

Darrin,

Glad to hear you got the Z-Two you wanted. I knew you had a bit of buyers remorse with the 737. Glad things worked out for you.

Shawns Lawns,

Somebody mis-informed you, Cub has a nice 3 bagger system available also.

Sawman65,

In defense of the deere, that unitized dual hydro pump is sorta slick and I bet a few more companies adopt it sooner or later. But I'm still like you and un-sure of it. I also really don't care for how it's mounted on the 737 and 757. But on a V-shaft configuration like the 727.... pretty slick.