JD 757 Deck Drive Belt

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jamesday, Aug 23, 2003.

1. jamesday

jamesday LawnSite Member
    from MS

I have a new JD 757 60inch with around 33 hours. It has been cutting great all summer. Around 20 hours I began hearing this weird rattle-like sound in high grass or when the deck is under a good load. It sounds like what the blade spindles would sound like if they could rattle and had no grease... I had started to believe it was the deck wheels...

After much thought and inspection I had begun to ignore it thinking I'm being to picky...until today. I was mowing along great and the mule drive belt that drives the deck flew off the engine pulley and wedged between the engine and the pulley almost cutting it in half. I fiddled with it for a while and got it back on correctly and could still cut. I spoke with a dealer (not the one I purchased it from because they close at noon on Sat...of course) and he said he has seen problems with the mule drive pulleys being semi-loose from the factory and destroying themselves around 20-30 hours. Said the ones he has seen would "eat" or throw the mule drive belt...JD had to replace the belts and the drive pulleys before they would stop...

Has anybody seen or heard anything close to this? Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

James Day
    Magnolia Landscape Management, Inc.
    Jackson, MS

2. chefdrp

chefdrp LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a 737 and it did that to me at 35 hrs. took it back and it runs great now. good luck

3. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Problem solved.

4. imograss

imograss LawnSite Senior Member

i had the deere m665 60" 7 iron deck (the kees unit) it had 700 hrs on it when i sold it and i never put the first belt on the machine, i bought it new. it alway cut great and gave me no poblems, people can say what they want about deere, but i have had good experiences with them. i really had no good reason to sell it, but i had to have that super z!

5. sprout

sprout LawnSite Member

I have a new JD 757 with 65hrs, no problems. :D

6. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

I have 757 25hp,60" deck have never had any problems with the belts in 300 hrs. Still original belts.

7. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

My JD 757 just crossed 104 hrs. No probs. Very happy with the unit. Cuts great and is very well built.

8. ELC/IA

ELC/IA LawnSite Member

i have a 717 my belt broke but i think i went over a stick and it flipped up just right and got pulled through the pulley and broke the belt havent had any trouble since then.

9. stevieraysod

stevieraysod LawnSite Member

Check the tension of the belt itself. You have passed the "break in" period and something might have adjusted itself out of position. Check the idler adjustment to make sure the belt is not too tight. I was told that on a 737 or 757, as the belt stretched itself, the idler assembly would rotate out of position increasing tension on the belt ultimately causing failure.

10. QuikKutLawn

QuikKutLawn LawnSite Member

Check under the seat, that machine should have a service interval chart on the bottom side of the seat pan. The dealer pointed it out on my 757 and told me to adjust the belt tension after the first day of mowing. Apparently as the idler moves, it causes pressure on the bearing and the bearing fails, causing the belt to fail. Not on all machines, just some.