JD 757 - Double Blades

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 1mowlawn, Apr 20, 2006.

1. 1mowlawn

1mowlawn LawnSite Member

Need some opinions from you guys that are running doubles on a JD 757, I have a few lawns that seem grow probably 7 plus inches in less than a week and the clipping are stacking up like hay and would like to improve this problem, I'm currently running gator blades. Suggestions ???:usflag:

2. MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC LawnSite Senior Member

Offer to cut more offten, like every 5 days. As is you should only be removing 1/3 of the leaf blade or close to it.

3. imograss

imograss LawnSite Senior Member

I most cases Gators in the Spring can make a huge mess.Double Gators, will make soupw green balls and a huge buildup under your deck. I am guessing you are side discharging?

4. 1mowlawn

1mowlawn LawnSite Member

Yes, I'm side discharging. I think I will try Hi-lifts and gator double combo and see if that helps - :usflag:

5. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

No, get yourself a set of notched foil highlifts for a 60" Dixie Chopper. Put this blade on the bottom of the stock JD highlift blade. The Dixie Chopper blade is a little shorter than the JD blade. But this will be ok cause the JD blades are step blades and will still hang lower than the bottom blade. I find this setup best for long grass.

6. 1mowlawn

1mowlawn LawnSite Member

Thanks DLCS, I will give the Dixie blades a try. I mowed last night with the JD hi-lifts and gators and the cut was great, but I did not like the vibration and noise level and felt uncomfortable using these doubles on this new JD 757. I will probably take them off because I'm afraid I'll hurt the engine and mower. Thinking of trying the Meg-Mo system on the 757 but concerned that this system will also create the excessive vibrations and noise levels and also the cost tof the meg-mos. :confused: