JD 757 or 717

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rodneyskip, Mar 1, 2006.

1. rodneyskip

rodneyskip LawnSite Member
    from KY

If you were going to have one of these mowers as your primary mower- which would you choose?

The quik trac 757 54" or the 717 48"????

I need to make a decision in the next 7-10 days. Have also thought about going cheaper and just getting the 7H17.

What do you guys think? I am definitely staying with Deere.

2. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

If it has to be a Deere, atleast go with the 757 60" cut.

That's a primary mower size.
    I see no advantage to getting a big full frame mower with a deck that will barely cut out it's own tracks. It really defeats the purpose of a zero turn. You'll spend more time trimming what you can't reach over and get with the deck. This same principal applies to the 717 as well. 757-60" or 737-54" although I see no reason to go with a 54" as a 60" can go anywhere it will.... except on a 5 ft wide trailer...LOL...

3. rodneyskip

from KY

The 5 ft wide trailer is exactly why I am looking at the 54" vs the 60." I get much better gas mileage with pulling my 5x8 than when pulling my heavy tandem axle 16ft trailer

4. Envy Lawn Service

Ah... I see... and understand!

Sorry, I also meant 727 not 737.

For a 54" I am honestly not sure which I'd rather have between the 727 and the 757 now that I think about it. The 757 is a lot nicer machine. I do not like the changes they made to the 717 and the 727 too much. I liked the older ones with the tank under the seat better. I do really like the unitized pump setup they have now though. It's a slicker setup on those than it is on the bigger mowers. I just think they could have done a bit better and put more thought into the whole new setup....

But if it were me, I wouldn't have to make the choice because I wouldn't buy a Deere.
    I like the other shade of green better :usflag:

5. rodneyskip

from KY

Come on- you can help more than that.

Also have you seen the videos on Deere's website about the guy saying the quiktrak (757) is so efficient? They seem to be really pushing the standers.

6. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

do some searching on standers. There are a ton of threads. consensus seems to be that the guys that have them, love them.

7. Envy Lawn Service

The new stand-on machines look good, that I can't deny.
    The 657 might be right up your alley.
    Compact, light and fast.

But you would have to stand...

8. rodneyskip

from KY

I did do a search about standers- I also searched on 717 and everyone loved it as well. That is why it is a tough choice!!!!

9. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

well, there ya go. Both good machines, comes down to one thing:

You can either stand like a man, or sit like a woman :D

10. rodneyskip

from KY

Anyone have anything USEFUL to add to this thread?????