1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

JD 757 Trouble

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by VolRog, Jul 8, 2004.

1. VolRog

VolRog LawnSite Member

Got a 757 w/ a 25HP Kawasaki engine. Only has 6.5 hours on it. Today while mowing, I got off to move some debris. Heard a loud boom and it shut off. No smoke or oil seen exiting the engine, but it would not start. Checked the fuses and switches all OK. No fire getting to the plug(it appears its not fouled). Help.
  2. jpmako

jpmako LawnSite Senior Member

My guess is something with the operator presence system.
    Try lifting the seat and looking at the switch. It might be broken.
  3. Southeastern

Southeastern LawnSite Member

john deere have operator presence switches. Set parking brake , put leverers back in nuteral, disingage pto and try again
  4. No telling what the problem is. Could be safety switches, ignition or coil. Bring it back to the dealer. Sorry I couldn't be more help. I have one also and have had no problems so far.(220hrs)Although the plate that is welded to the back of the seat and is used to push on the pressure switch under the seat broke off. I had to pull out the harness from the switch and use a wire to jump it for now.
    A word of advise: keep your air filter CLEAN, kawi's don't like air filters that are even a little dirty,they run rich and start missing at low rpm's.
  5. chefdrp

chefdrp LawnSite Bronze Member

try bypassing the seat safty switch under the seat. I had that same prob without the big boom noise.
  6. Hey southeastern welcome to Lawnsite
  7. gl1200a

gl1200a LawnSite Senior Member

Well, since it's still under warranty why not call your dealer and have him fix it free.
  8. VolRog

VolRog LawnSite Member

I will, but if it was something simple that someone on this board had dealt with, I thought I'd go that route first. The guys on here are very knowledgable, always a good resource.
  9. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Need more info VolRog.....

Is the mower still out sitting on the lawn?

Were all safety devices still hooked up?

Did you dismount mower with blades engaged?

The bang is probably a backfire from shutting down at full RPM.

No start is probably a safety switch.

With only 6.5hrs, maybe you don't know all the "quirks" of the safety systems yet.

Keep the info coming....

10. VolRog

VolRog LawnSite Member

TLS thanks,

Was mowing my own yard
    All safety devices appear OK
    Blades were cut off, I never get off with blades on
    It was not a typical backfire
    I'm thinking switch too but I can't the faulty one
    Only 6.5 hrs on this one, but lots of seat time on Z's

Thanks for your reply