1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

JD 757 vs. Exmark Lazer z 27HP

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by robertbick, Jul 17, 2004.

1. robertbick

robertbick LawnSite Member

Help. I am shopping for a new ZTR and have checked out both the Exmark Lazer Z 27HP with the 60" deck and a JD 757 with a 60" deck.

I can get either one for $8,200. Which one would you choose and why? Can anyone tell me the pros and cons of each one?

I know that the JD has a 25hp Kawasaki vs. the 27hp Kohler on the Exmark. Also the JD has a stamped deck vs. the welded deck on the Exmark. The stamped deck is supposed to collect less debris on the inside but isn't the welded deck stronger? I am looking for other opinions.

2. Dupontcar

Dupontcar LawnSite Member

I tested the Deere but have not tried the Exmark. If "Steve1" reads this thread, I believe he can shed more light between the two(and he bought the Deere).
    The Deere price sounds a bit high, at least compared to what I have been quoted. I have had quotes of $500- $800 less than yours. This is just for your information purpose if you decide on the green machine and want to barter. I believe Steve1 also bought his for a little less than your quote. As a matter of a fact, I can but the 777 model for less than $8200.
    The welded deck is supposed to be stronger from what I have been told, but I have never heard anyone complain that the stamped deck did not hold up. I was VERY impressed with the Deere 7 Iron deck. It cut clean and dispersed the clippings well.
    Do some research on this site. The John Deere ZTR's have had lots of bad reviews in the past, but there are a lot of John Deere believers now with the new models they offer.
    Good luck with whatever you decide.

3. Steve1

Steve1 LawnSite Senior Member

Hi Bob... Yes, I demo'd both units and while I certainly was impressed with the exMark, I was even more impressed with the Deere. I bought a 777 (that should be here any day) but I've been using a 757 demo the dealer loaned to me until mine arrives and it is an incredible machine.

The cut is incredible as is the overall quality and ergonomics of the machine. I would encourage you to look very closely at both units and decide which works best for you. One of the main reasons I bought the Deere was my dealer - he is outstanding and that is crucial to a purchase like this.

The 7-Iron deck is the second main reason I chose Deere - it stays clean underneath, cuts any depth cleanly and is solid as a rock. It is absolutely awesome!

Demo both and see which works for you - they are both great. But I do believe the JD is a little better, at least for me. :D

Prices I was quoted for a 757 (Kawasaki 25hp/60" 7 Iron) were $7299 to $7599 and for an exMark Lazer with the 27 Kohler/60" were ~$7400-$7600.

Good luck and demo, demo, demo.
  4. robertbick

Hey Steve & David. Thanks a lot for your input... very much appreciated. I have not had a demo of the JD yet. I guess I should do that before I try to decide on the two. Also, thanks for the pricing info.

Steve, can I ask you what you paid for the 777?

Thanks again,
  5. Steve1

For the 777, I paid $7850 plus tax, including a second set of blades.

I was very happy with the price. Now, if it would just get here!
  6. Steve1

Here's a pic of the 757 I'm using. It's a GREAT machine!

57 lfqrsz3.jpg
  7. Steve1

One other thing Bob - try and demo a Toro if you're serious about the exMark. The Turbo Force deck is very nice and does a good job (certainly equal to the exMark deck if not better) and the machines are nearly identical twins.

Also, the Hustler Super Z and the Grasshopper 200/300 series are worth looking into. Just make sure that whatever you buy has a good dealer to back up the sale!

Good luck.
  8. robertbick

Thanks Steve. I'm leaning towards the Exmark mainly because of dealer support. The dealer/owner lives down the road from me so I think he would take good care of me should any problems arise. Thanks again for your help.