1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

JD 777 Hitch?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tyaroch, Feb 18, 2008.

1. tyaroch

tyaroch LawnSite Member
    from MI

Has anyone fabricated a hitch for a john deere 777 or another mower. I need some advise on where to put it. Pictures would be great! Thanks in advance!
  2. gl1200a

gl1200a LawnSite Senior Member

Go onto eBay, into the home and garden and outdoor power equipment. Type 'hitch' into the search window and see what you get. I bought a used one off of a John Deere lawn tractor of some type and welded it to the inside of the rear bumper on my 797. It works great and has for many years. I think I paid $7.00 for it.
  3. rfg1944

rfg1944 LawnSite Member

This has been answered by make your own which I do not wish to do. Anyone heard of these being made that I might buy? Thanks
  4. Chill

Chill LawnSite Member

5. rfg1944

rfg1944 LawnSite Member

The hitch on Ebay will not fit on a 777. Guess I will have to have someone make one for me as I don't have a welder but regardless I don't want to start welding on the frame. This is a new mower that I got a heck of a deal on and I use it for my small acerage only not commercial so I expect to have it for a very long time. With all that said, the mower is a real horse.
  6. tyaroch

tyaroch LawnSite Member
    from MI

No welding to the mower is required. I ended up making my own hitch. You can use the four bolt holes that guard the bottom pully for the deck belt. Check out this pic. By the way, the sprayer worked great this summer. I can cover a lot of ground with a 12' boom. I may have to add another tank on the back so I can spray the 5 acres I added to my lawn this summer.

7. rfg1944

rfg1944 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the pictures. Really helps and makes it easy to visualize what I need to do. Looks very simple and I can just make up a cardboard template and take to my local welder and have him attach receiver or just a plain old hitch connection and drill my holes. Like the mower it was a demo and even though it was an 06 came with full factory warranty. Also had the mulch on demand kit which I have found very useful around walkways, flower beds etc. Again Thanks a Lot.
  8. heather lawn sp

heather lawn sp LawnSite Senior Member

Nice rig

We did a similar job on an old F725 about 10 years ago. Boom tips are generally engineered for a spray height of 16". Have you had any issues with booms being up that high?
  9. BigSkyMower

BigSkyMower LawnSite Member

Great job with the sprayer. How did you mount the tank to your mower? It looks like your mower lift pedal will intefere with the tank location. I have a 757 and want to do the same thing.

Do you use a GPS to control your speed during spraying?
  10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Wow! I see you guys already have some snow down there, eh?