1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

jd 797 or scag tiger? fair prices?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by apict, Dec 5, 2004.

1. apict

apict LawnSite Member

I am likely going to buy either a new 72" John Deere 797 or a scag turf tiger and am trying to figure out which would be the better choice.
    The jd claims to go 0-10 mph, the scag claims "up to 12 mph" but they both have the same engine.
    The jd uses 7 gauge stamped steel, the scag welds but has a 10 gauge steel top and 7 gauge suport plate - which is better?
    The scag has "marbain" cutter blades, don't know what the jd has.
    Any info on which is a better machine would be appreciated.
    Also,the local dealer wants $10,650 for the jd and $10,900 for the scag - are these fair prices?
    Thanks y'all.
  2. Texas Mower Parts

Texas Mower Parts LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Gas or diesel?
    What hp?
  3. naturescaretaker

naturescaretaker LawnSite Senior Member

Our preference would be for the JD. However, another fact in your consideration is dealer support. How are they going to take care of you after the sale? What kind of parts inventory do they have? Will they give you a loaner if something breaks? How long have they been in business? These are important facts that should be taken into consideration.

Up until just this past month we were a preferred JD Green Fleet member. Everything was JD. But about 10 months ago the JD dealership changed management. Things went downhill fast from there. Their service and support went south and now so are we.

Take a look at the behind the front counter and see which looks like they are going to be the ones to take care of you after the sale.

4. blankenshiplawncare

blankenshiplawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I just bought a 777 but priced a 797. The dealer in Savannah priced me new at 10,000.00 even. I agree with Coastal.. the dealer will make a huge difference. BTW I love the 7 Iron decks.

5. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

I think both mowers are great machines. Does the Scag have the same engine as the 797, 29 hp DFI LC Kaw.? I'd probibly go with the scag if it was me but the dealer does make the difference. Good luck.
  6. apict

apict LawnSite Member

Thanks for the input so far.
    Yeah, both machines have the 29hp gas kawasaki engine.
    BTW, the scag comes with a 3 year warranty and the jd with a 2 year limited warranty - whatever that means. Is the warranty a factor?
  7. NJDeere

NJDeere LawnSite Member

8. apict

apict LawnSite Member

thanks NJdeere, I feel better about the Deere warranty now. Wish I felt better about the price.
  9. NJDeere

NJDeere LawnSite Member

Your Deere dealer is giving you a 20% discount off of the MSRP of $13,269. That's a great price! Can't really comment on the Scag price. Hope this helps too.