JD 855 Tach and Hour Meter Question

Discussion in 'Tractors' started by wilsonbh, Jun 1, 2007.

1. wilsonbh

wilsonbh LawnSite Member

I'm looking to buy this old 1988 JD 855 Tractor. It looks to be in pretty good condition. There are some bugs in it and one is the hour meter/tach. I don't care about the tach part but the hour meter part of this guage is valuable to me and it's not working.

Looking at it, there is a cable going down to the engine, like the old speedometer cables on some cars. Anyone have any experience with this? I was thinking that just maybe this cable needs replacement and the guage would work again. It is showing 598 hours and the owner (of course) said it just stopped working recently.

I can get this tractor for $6500. Does this price sound reasonable for a 20 year old machine? The engine doesn't smoke and has a loader configuration. I would need a belly mower so I'd be in the market for one.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Billy

2. wilsonbh

wilsonbh LawnSite Member

I've been looking at this 855 when this 4200 came on the market. It's mechanically sound and it has made me hesitate on the 855 purchase. I left another thread asking for a comparison between these two types of tractors, for anyone in the know....

Billy