Jd 935f

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnboyil, May 17, 2001.

1. lawnboyil

lawnboyil LawnSite Member

Ok what what is the opinion of the JD 935F front mount mowers? a large maintenance Co. is switching to lazers and they are unloading there front mounts. Is it worth it? we are looking in to a large contract that it would be use full. or should we find some other lagre area used mower?

thanks for any comments

alex

2. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Great mowers, very durable, comfortable ride. If it was 1986, I would say buy it! But its 2001 and there are ZTR's available for half the price. They are just too big and cut like....well....crap! There is a reason that they are switching to ZTR's! You should do the same. If all you do is large parks with little obstacles, then these are OK, but otherwise, go with a ZTR.

3. Mr.Ziffel

Mr.Ziffel LawnSite Senior Member

lawnboyil, I am with Dixie1 on this. I mowed with a F935 for the past two years and that is one tough mower. I could [and have] cut a piece of granite the size of my fist in half with it--not on purpose of course but the place was pretty rough. I bought a new 60" LazerZ this year and it mows cleaner and faster than the 72" 935. I still think these make good parks and right-of-way mowers, but I needed a smoother, cleaner, better finish cut and have got that with the Exmark.

It would really help me out if you could let me know what this outfit is asking for those 935's. I've got a guy who's interested in mine, and if he doesn't work out, I just found a place that will take it on consignment but I'd like to know if I"m in the ballpark for price. Thanks, Will M.

4. lawnboyil

lawnboyil LawnSite Member

i will find out for you. The project we are looking in to is a large chemical plant. for the up close stuff we can and probbly will do with are 48" and 36" wb's.

So for the open area stuff depnding on price we should be doing good?

alex

5. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Well, my new mower is here and ready to go. I haven't picked it up yet but I'm going to go pick it up tomorrow night. I can't wait! It's a '92 Toro GM118 with the 44" deck and collection system. Should be faster than what I'm using, a 38" garden tractor. For $1200, it's a pretty good buy. Has been used for 5 years in a cemetary and hasn't worked a whole lot since then. Just a few mowings at the owner's house but that's it. Does anybody know if this mower will stripe? I guess it's not a huge deal but I could put a stripe kit on it if I had to. I would make one like Eric. The chain drag system is nice. I actually made a temporary one for my little JD mower (that I sold) last year and it worked GREAT. The mower wouldn't have any sort of stripe, but the chains on it and it looked great. The mower was too small and didn't mulch so I sold it. Oh well. Worked good for a while. My grandpa now owns it so I know it has a good home. I have heard some good and bad things about the JD F935. For starters, they're great if you doing park work (open, no obstacles). I've seen one at one of the parks here and they seem to cut nicely. I saw one guy on one last year, HAULING ~A~S~S~! He mowed about 1/2 acre of open grass in 20 mins. My dad wants to get one now. LOL.

"Hey, they mow fast, let's get one!"

"No dad, they're pretty expensive, more than a ZTR, so I don't think I want one"

"Oh"

LOL. Good luck. :)