JD 997 Thoughts after 1 Month

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Stinchcomb Lawn, Apr 23, 2007.

1. Stinchcomb Lawn

Stinchcomb Lawn LawnSite Member

Ok I have had the 997 for a month now. It has more than enough power and the cut is amazing BUT and I mean BUT. This thing rides like a covered wagon on the roughest road in town!! Does anyone else have this problem with thier 997 ? I have spoke with my sales guy and he is trying to get them to give me my money back so we will see. Either way it has to go, none of my guys will ride this thing. If this mower was easier on my back I would have 10 of them so let me know your thoughts. Thaks !!

2. ed2150

ed2150 LawnSite Member

Have you checked whether the air pressure in the tires might be too high (makes a tremendous difference) and have you thought about the optional suspension seat kit, or do you already have it?

3. Toad

Toad LawnSite Senior Member

Got to be the tire presure. We all ride on the same machine wether you like it or not. Steel on steel. Other than ferris , there is no other way to improve the ride other than tire preasure and suspention seat. I run 8 t0 10 pounds rear, 12 up front. Maybe a little more for that 997 given the weight.

4. Stinchcomb Lawn

Yes we have checked the air pressure, this mowers ride is nothing like my my 757. I'm thinking it has to be the weight on the rear. Almost like the weight is not balanced from front to rear.

5. gl1200a

gl1200a LawnSite Senior Member

I have a new Z-Trak 797 and it would have ridden just a rough as my old 727A. Over the winter I found the John Deere suspension kit for the seat of my new unit (and it fits your 997 also). What a difference! Even at my 272 lbs. it cushions the bumps like I couldn't believe. Well worth it and cheaper thru eBay also.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=184626

Not a plug, just an idea for you. Over $100 less than through a local dealer also.

6. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

I'm not up on JD equipment but it could be the type of tire used. I had low profile tires on one of my Walkers and it was bad bad bad.

7. Stinchcomb Lawn

Thanks for the help so far, I will look for a new seat and check on different tires. I wont be on the mower anytime soon due to the 8 inches of rain today in 5 hours. But I will keep you all posted.

8. scchamblee

scchamblee LawnSite Member

8" in 5 hours!!! That doesn't sound good for me... cause that stuff is headed this way!

9. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

We got about 6.5" down here in town. Plan on sending the mowing crew out about 10:00 or so this morning. Sending rope and tow chains with them also.

10. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

What IS you pressure?

Do you have a 60" or 72" deck?

The 997 uses 26x12-12 rear and 15x6-6 in the fronts.

The rears have a MAXIMUM inflation of 20psi....you SHOULD try using about 10 to no more than 12psi.

The fronts have a MAXIMUM inflation of 30psi....you SHOULD try using about 12psi. Could go less here depending on your aggressiveness.

If anything this machine should ride like a Cadillac.