JD 997 vs. Ferris 5100z

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Nature's Pro, Mar 12, 2008.

1. Nature's Pro

Nature's Pro LawnSite Member

I am looking at buying one of these two mowers and i was wondering if any of you have had any experience with either of these two mowers. I would like to know the pros and cons of both. So any help would be great.

Thanks,

Joe

2. PTSolutions

PTSolutions LawnSite Silver Member
    from OH

all i know is that the ferris 5100z with the cat diesel is a beast! expected engine life of over 6000 hours? plus suspension to keep the frame, sounds like a winning machine to me!

3. POPO4995

POPO4995 LawnSite Bronze Member

The Deere 997 is a proven machine. The Yanmar diesel engine has been used for awhile in the 455, X744, etc. and is an excellent choice. The 7 IRON decks are the best in the industry as far as i'm concerned. Go demo a 997 and you will be sold!:usflag:

4. PTSolutions

from OH

i do agree about the 7 iron decks with mulch on demand. that is a pretty slick system they have there. ive never used a deere so i cant really say anything about them. and ive only used a ferris is1500z which is a far cry from a 5100.

5. wintergreenlawn&landscape

wintergreenlawn&landscape LawnSite Member
    from CT

Why do you want a diesel? If I may ask....

6. riverwalklandscaping

riverwalklandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I thought they had an expected engine life of 3000 hours? Thats what a ferris rep told me at an equipment expo anyways. Perhaps he was wrong. But at 18,000$ / 3000 hours = 6$ an hour. 9,000$ / 1,500 hours = 6$ an hour Why bother? Also, good luck not rutting up a lawn with a machine that weighs almost as much as a honda civic. 2200lbs! That would overload some peoples trailers. The only reason I could see owning either would be if i mowed sports fields, municipalities, etc. Also, at 4-5$ a gallon for diesel, plan on spending 75$ on gas to fill her up. Certainly sweet machines, but they are for big deal mowing, not medium or light duty stuff. If your doing the big stuff, they are top machines for sure. at 33.5 Dsl HP, they seem like they should be cutting hay for bales.

7. Toad

Toad LawnSite Senior Member

I was just at a deere dealer today and got a price on the 997. Im not in the market but he said hes $14,000 out the door on them. Just to let you know.

8. PTSolutions

from OH

do these mowers really cost anywhere near 14k to make? i mean i know the manufacturers have to make a profit but when you are approaching car prices...

or is it because these machines make us money therefore we are willing to make the investment and they charge accordingly?

9. riverwalklandscaping

riverwalklandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Well they are starting to be like cars. I saw a 5100Z for 18,000$ last year. It has a suspension like a car, it has a seat nicer than some car seats. It's got as much metal as some cars. I sometimes wonder if they make these just so wealthy weekend warriors can brag about whos got the biggest mower... kinda like they do with all these 500 and 600 hp mercedes.

10. tb8100

tb8100 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TX

Please. Get real. Manufacturers don't make much of anything on whole goods these days, just on the parts. :hammerhead: