JD 997 ZTrak Diesel

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Crazy Cutter, Sep 7, 2007.

1. Crazy Cutter

Crazy Cutter LawnSite Member
    from Idaho

Anyone on here have a JD 997 with the 72" side discharge deck:confused: ? Saw one this afternoon and was really impressed by it! Seems like a BIG MOWER! I'm sure it has the hefty JD price with it too right:dizzy: ? Anyhelp is appreciated very much:) .

2. Americal Vet

Americal Vet LawnSite Senior Member

Can't recall the price, but you can go to the JD website and get a good idea about it. I looked at one at the dealer when I was in buying my 700 series tractor. I didn't ask about the price because I didn't want to faint and hit my head on a rock in the gravel parking lot.

The deck is a little wide for my purposes anyhow.

3. Crazy Cutter

from Idaho

Well then can I ask about your 700 series? 777 or 797 ex...?

4. Americal Vet

Americal Vet LawnSite Senior Member

I've got a 757 which has been a great machine so far, but I'm just at 200 hours on it. Got the 757 new for 6950

I've also got an X744 Tractor which I have to use on some huge slopes at a contract on a military base. This one was a little over 9K with the 52" deck.

5. SproulsLawnCare

SproulsLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member
    from IN

I can't remember for sure, but it sticks in my mind that my dealer wanted around $10k for the 777 and $13K for the 997.

6. heather lawn sp

heather lawn sp LawnSite Senior Member

Model year:
    1015 hours

At 11.5 mph and 72 inch it is an open terrain mower.

There have been issues with dust on the radiator. The mower will shut out the PTO until the rad is cleared and cooled.

It will mow a football field in 35 minutes

We cut 24 schools for 18 cycles with this and an M655 54" mower. We routinely mow 25 acres a day BUT you will need good dealer support at THIS level of production. We are into the dealership about once a week. They are also a mowing customer, considering we have 2 truckloads of JD equipment.

It is a good tough mower, but you do have to have the work to feed it

7. Crazy Cutter

from Idaho

What did you mean you are into the dealership once a week? With problems or to have tea with the new intern?:laugh: Maintaining a little dust filter is no problem if thats the biggest problem! I would be using it on my own personel property that I am looking at for maybe next year. Looking at this property just as an excuse to buy a kick butt mower and maybe a tractor. Gotta budget though:cry: No wife or kids yet.:weightlifter:

8. gl1200a

gl1200a LawnSite Senior Member

I know there were some folks from Austrailia (sp) on here shortly after the
    997's came out and they were have a real problem with the radiators clogging up. Come to find out the fellow had the rear discharge model and most of his problems were related to the debris exiting out the rear instead of a side discharge.

I run a 797 / 72" side discharge and love it, but my radiator is behind the seat and not in the rear like the 997. I wonder if they still have the cooling problem with the side discharge as discussed a few replies up.

9. Crazy Cutter

from Idaho

Well guys I broke down and went into my JD dealer today and inquired about the 997 and they had two on hand with the 72" deck and I was really pleased with what I saw! They offered me a demo but I declined because I am still just too far out with buying the property I am looking at and maybe trying to find something else that would maybe fit this beast of a mower. Most guys buy equipment for there property needs, I buy property for my equipment needs:rolleyes: ! Anyway, one of the machines came back from a demo just before I got there so I was able to talk to the sales guy AND the possible customer also interested at the 997, all he could talk about was the productivity of the mower and how nothing could stop the 72" 7 Iron II. So I guess that says alot about the machine and the deck:weightlifter: . I also looked and the full framed 797 and 777 with 72's and 60 size decks but I'm just hung up on that diesel and the shft drive.:)
    Brett

10. heather lawn sp

heather lawn sp LawnSite Senior Member

I mean that at the speeds we mow at (sticks out) It's 'check the oil and change the antiscalp wheels'. 2 sets of blades per year. The square blade ends taper to a rounded point. Tires every year and a half. Multiply these kind of repairs times 2 machines, and the visits add up. Speaking of wife and kids, 2 of the daughters run this machine. The youngest dons her John Deere hat, her 'Dirt Diva' T-shirt, jeans and work boots and mows for 7 to ten hours per day.

It's not a little dust filter to maintain, this is the rad itself. I've taken to carrying a gasoline driven compressor with the truck to blow out the very fine dust that clogs the rad fins. BUT with the dryness here this year the mower looks like it is running a con trail out the deck exhaust.

The diesel torque shows itself in the tall thick grass, properly handled it won't stall.

If you do the arithmatic we are doing over 300 hours a season, that could work to 10 years of hard use on a home owner property or a lifetime of gentle use.