JD dealer trying to pull one on me?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by QualityLawnCare4u, Apr 30, 2004.

1. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

Hello, I have a question concerning a quote I got 2 fridays ago. I called the JD dealer that I had bought my 717 from last year to get a price one a 727, 737. and a 757. I was quoted 5875 for 727, 6600 for 737 and 7100 for 757. He has one of each in stock and 2 757s. I went over the next day on Sat. and was told both 727 and 737 were sold. I told hime I had decided to go with the 727 because I am on a very tight budget. He said he would order a new one but it might be just a few bucks higher. Calls ne today and was going to bring me the mower, I asked what price it was and it was now 6300. Now 425 aint exactly pocket change. Eveb though this price was still cheaper than any other JD dealer I had called was not happy about it, feel like I got lowballed. I told him was not happy about the price and will call back in morn to let him know. I had looked at a Ferris at a dealer only 5 miles from me and it was only 6600 with a 61 inch deck instead of the 54 on the 727 and both had same engine. Is this normal practice for dealer doing this? I think Im going to pass.

Danny

2. QualityLawnCare4u

Oh BTW I forgot to add that I still Have his business card with each model and price wrote on it, dont know if I could make him stick to it or not.

Danny

3. mowingmachine

mowingmachine LawnSite Senior Member

The price of steel has been going up all year. The mowers he had in stock may not of reflected that if he has had them for a while. The new mower he had to order may be higher priced now due to the steel prices. Just a thought.

mowingmachine

4. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

Have a talk with him and let him know your feelings. Then let us know how it went. Sounds like very poor business practices to me. After all, he would have to get another one in anyway just to keep his stock up to date. Sounds like he's trying to make back his shipping charges that he would have to pay anyway. I wouldn't want someone like that repairing my mower. It's like when you take your car in for new brakes and they charge you for brake pads and a tire rotation.

5. lars

lars LawnSite Member

The business card may be your ammo. You were quoted a price. In legal terms, it is an offer. If an offer is extended you have a reasonable amount of time to accept. If you really wanted the low price try to get some legal advice. I think legally that you are entiltled to the lower price.

6. LynyrdSkynyrd

LynyrdSkynyrd LawnSite Member

Talking to a guy a few days ago that was complaining about a dealer that charged him $45.00 to time the blades on his L100.
    --------------------------------

Dan
    I do not know if a business card with his quotes on it would stand in your favor or not. He could just say that he never wrote anything on a card and gave it to you.
    I would contact John Deere's home office and ask if it was normal pratice for one of their dealer to raise prices on a mower once he quotes a price and orders the unit. They may jerk a wedge in his shorts and give you some type of discount if you scream load enough.
    I wish you luck. For I know that you were looking forward to getting the machine only to have it jerked from your grasp.

7. fat tom

fat tom LawnSite Member

call john deere and tell them what happened. i bet they will have something to say

8. Randy J

Randy J LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't think you have a leg to stand on. The prices he quoted you were on mowers he had in stock, not ones he would have to order. As has been pointed out, steel prices have been going up, and so have costs of manufacturering. He did warn you that the price would be a little higher, if he ordered one for you. You can talk to him, but I wouldn't expect too much, especially since you've already pointed out that his price is better than any other Deere dealer you checked with. If you want the 727 and are willing to spend the extra dough, I'd say go for it. I know it kind of sucks, but the original mowers sound like a pretty good deal, and that's why they went so quick.

Randy

9. QualityLawnCare4u

Thanks for the replies. I just got off the phone with the salesman and he was going to see if he could do better than the 6300. I do understand about selling what you have in inventory for a cerain price and the ordered ones costing more. Its just that 425 is a lot of money for a one man operation in a bad economy town I live in. I will trade my 133 if he would give me a good price on a bagger unit with it, Ive got some folks who insist on bagging there yards and my 133 has a bagger and my cyclone rake aint worth a crap in residentual yards. BTW the saleman was a little miffed but tough s@@t.

Danny

10. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

Yeh, they will say that you could be paying list price, consider yourself lucky.