1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Jd Decks ????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LakeMurrayLawns, Apr 30, 2004.

1. LakeMurrayLawns

LakeMurrayLawns LawnSite Member

Has anyone else experienced John Deere decks blowing out quick? I have a two year old JD and the deck has already been welded once with a hole and another hole appeared last week. Another trip to the welder!!!

All the manufacturers claim to have the strongest deck, who do you think has the best deck??
  2. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

If its only 2 years old then it should be covered under warrenty. I can't imagine a deck getting a hole in it after only 2 years. I had a 1976 JD tractor that the deck was still solid when it was sold 2 years ago.
  3. lawnGUYnMD

lawnGUYnMD LawnSite Member

I have a 4 year old deere and no problem here. Talk to your dealer they should be able to help you.
  4. imograss

imograss LawnSite Senior Member

No problem with the decks on any of the Deeres I use.
  5. QuikKutLawn

QuikKutLawn LawnSite Member

What deck on what machine?
  6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Geez, theswe things are 7 gauge...how do you blow a hole in them?
    I don't know if it is far back as 2 years, but I can tell you that Deere has done a world of improvements on their decks recently (the past 1-2 years).
  7. LakeMurrayLawns

LakeMurrayLawns LawnSite Member

This is a 42 converta deck on a LT 160. The blow out is just behnd the outlet on the right side.
  8. QuikKutLawn

QuikKutLawn LawnSite Member

Ok... that explains a lot. That deck is one of Deere's residential decks, it was never made for commercial use. Not surprising that it would have a problem being used commercially.
  9. What the heck are you cutting! I can't imagine even a residential deck blowing out after 2 yrs cutting decent grass. Sand and dirt will trash a deck quick.
  10. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

Could it have been eaten away by fertilizer or something?

A bag of old fertilzer got a hole torn in the side of the bag in the shed a few years ago and it completely ate through the leg and wheel off a brand new commercial grade steel (painted) fish cooker that we'd only used once! We got it fixed back good as new, but what a wake-up call!