JD EZtrak 645 vs. Hustler Fast-trak SD

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jeff601, Jan 27, 2012.

1. jeff601

jeff601 LawnSite Member

Been doing some severe shopping. OK I'll be honest....been salivating for the last few years for a zero turn. I cut 4-5 acres on my place and have done so for the last few years on my craftsman 42" lawn mower. she has been getting to the point to where every year I am fixing something on it to be able to cut. I am ready for a new mower I have narrowed it down to the JD EZtrak 645 or the Hustler Fast Trak Super Duty. the JD seems more heavy duty to me with the Seperate Kanzai pump/motors vs. the Hustler SD with the Z3100's but the Hustler has the Comm. Kawi and the JD has a Vanguard, Both have a 4 yr. Warranty. The hustler is gonna cost me about me about 600 more. Any owner testimonial would be greatly apreciated.:usflag:

2. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

just to complicate things more also take a look at the scag freedom z. :laugh:

3. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

Personally, I'd bypass the 600 series and go up to the 700 series. For about a $1000 more, you'll get a true commercial mower. If you're set on the 600 series, then I'd skip the 645, and go to the 665 with its 60" deck for only $200 more 2, especially for as many acres as you are cutting.

The Hustler would be a nice machine as well, but if I had to chose between them, I'd go with the Deere.

BTW- unless something has changed for 2012, those are not Vanguard engines in the Deere. They're the new (last year) Cyclonic engine from B&S that was supposed to be designed expressly for ZTR use. The Vanguard is top of the line engine, and a step up from them. The Cyclonic engine has a decent rep so far, but since they are new, it's hard to say what kind of longevity they'll really provide.

4. Garrett Lawn Care

Garrett Lawn Care LawnSite Member
    from kansas

I love my JD Z655.