JD f935 water pump

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by avp27, Sep 14, 2007.

1. avp27

avp27 LawnSite Member

Hi,

I am purchasing a JD F935 running a the standard yanmar diesel which was advertised as having a faulty water pump. The head gasket was blown and head was reconditioned earlier not knowing it was the water pump all along. The machine runs ok, smokey due to many hours but priced right so I am keen to pick it up.

Before I jump in I wanted to see if anyone had advice on replacing the water pump - difficult ? Costly ? and should I look for any other signs of damage due to overheating ?

much appreciated
    Anthony
    Walker GHS 16HP Kohler
    JD 332 Yanmar 16hp
    JD 425 Yanmar 16HP

2. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

If it's advertised as having a bad water pump then be leary of it. It seems to me that the heads were repaired and still the water pump was not replaced. I would assume that you will be re ringing it, rebuilding the head or more. So it must still be bad. Get it dirt cheap or walk away.

3. avp27

avp27 LawnSite Member

i had a look at it and as expected it runs, though the seal in the water pump is gone. Re-ringing may be necessary as it is smokey (white). What are the rough cost to having new rings installed. price of the unit is $1000 which i think is priced right. appreciate any advice.

4. khouse

If it's white smoke that means water! I would guess re ringing it and having the head repaired for cracks may be in order.

5. avp27

avp27 LawnSite Member

i thought thought the same but was told that white smoke was low compression. It would blow a puff when it accelerated. there was no signs of water in the or condensation under the oil caps.

6. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

If it has been ran hot enough to blow a head gasket twice there is no telling what damage the bottom end has sustained.
    You could find yourself stuck with a full blown complete engine rebuild.

7. Breezmeister

Breezmeister LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from South Jersey

See what a water pump costs before you buy it, they can be very expensive.

ericg likes this.
  8. khouse

Good point Restrorob.

9. avp27

avp27 LawnSite Member

thanks for all the feedback, if it has a blown head gasket I would of thought that it would be blowing white smoke all the time. though in this case, the smoke smells of oily, is it possible that the white smoke is from unburnt fuel, perhaps one of the cylinders is not firing as well as the others.

cheers, anthony

10. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

There will always be a better deal. Walk away from this one.

These machines are old technology compared to the mowers of today.

They are a maintenance hog. Lots to go wrong, and the parts were expensive when JD was still producing the F model. It's been what, 10years since they made them last?

Walk away.