JD G110 vs L130

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by FC_Racer, May 23, 2005.

1. FC_Racer

FC_Racer LawnSite Member
    from NJ

Been lurking here for a while and this is my first post so be gentle :waving:

Background info: new lawn on former corn field, approximately 2 acres hydroseeded. Lawn is not coming in too well so it will need lots of seeding and fertilizing. I'm also looking to plow snow off of the 150' driveway this winter. So, I'm leaning toward a lawn/garden tractor for versatility rather than a ZTR. I'm considering the JD L130 and G110.

I have searched the archives and see very little discussion of the JD G110. Obvious differences over the L130 are a wider 54" deck that is 11 gauge compared to the 48" 12 gauge deck on the L130. Engine is 25hp Kohler vs the 23hp Kohler on the L130. The axles and transaxle on the G110 seem beefier.

Bottom line: is it worth the extra $1100 for the G110? That's a 42% premium over the L130.

Thanks in advance
    Dennis

2. capwest28

capwest28 LawnSite Member

Consumer Reports has an excellent forum/archive about this. What they generally say is that the JD is made to mow, and mow only. All of the questions about removing snow were answered with "buy the less expensive one, mow your yard with it, and get a snowblower with the money you save." It seems you have to do a few things to the tractor, weight it, add chains, etc and they sound like a large pain. Hope this helps.

3. Smalltimer1

Smalltimer1 LawnSite Bronze Member

If you really want to do more than mow with your lawn/garden tractor, spend the extra money and go for at least a GT-series John Deere. Or get an older one in good shape, there's plenty of tractors and attachments in great shape to be found at www.weekendfreedommachines.org in the classifieds section.

4. FC_Racer

FC_Racer LawnSite Member
    from NJ

Thank you capwest28 and Smalltimer1 for your replies. I was hoping this thread would generate more replies before responding.

BR
    Dennis

5. Advance The Man

Advance The Man LawnSite Member

In 1998 I bought a Scotts 16hp with a 42" cut made by Deere. It would be at or below the quality grade of the lesser expensive one. Never had one problem with it. I've kept it and use it sparingly. However, you have 2 acres - it will take you forever with either one. They move way too slow. You really should consider a ztr. I used my ztr over the weekend towing a two-wheeled spreader and a landscape cart. No problems towing it. I would estimate it will take you two hours with the Deere and just under an hour with a typical ztr.

6. Smalltimer1

He wanted to do more than mow, so a ZTR is out of the question. ZTR's can't run tillers, snowplows, sweepsters, sprayers, loaders, or pull much of anything.

Here's just a sampling of what ZTR's can't handle.

BoxScraper.jpg

pushindirt2.JPG

7. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds like he needs a front mount Grasshopper! They can do most of that! grasshoppermower.com

8. Advance The Man

Advance The Man LawnSite Member

He needs to buy a used tractor like mine (not for sale :) ) and a ztr. I could probably only sell my tractor for $500 and it will do snowplowing, towing, etc. But, I'm telling you my ztr can do a lot of towing. Doubt it could do heavy dozing or snow. I'm in Florida so I'll never know about the snow!

9. RKISTNER1

RKISTNER1 LawnSite Member

Ck out the attachments for my ztr.

Attached Files:

10. Smalltimer1

ZTR attachments are much lighter duty and can't take the use and abuse that a garden tractor attachment, as well as transmission can.