JD gs 30 fixed deck ??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Currier, Mar 19, 2001.

1. Currier

Currier LawnSite Senior Member

I demoed the JD GS30 listed on the used equip. page today. They really are nice little machines. The only question
    I have is are the fixed decks a pain? and do the fixed decks seriously limit the versatility of the machine?

I know all the gear/hydro debate. These specific machines are priced right and I live close by so there is no freight.

I just have NO experience with walkbehinds. I see these as good machines for my business IF the fixed deck is not a real issue. Any advice, comments, Suggestions?

2. tazman

tazman LawnSite Member

I have had a JD GS30 for a couple of years. Nice unit and it has payed for itself many times over. The fixed deck is a hassle if you have to adjust the highth alot, but, you can adjust the front wheels casters real easy. You can go from 21/4" to 4" just by adjusting the front wheels. I am planning to go with a bigger WB or rider this season and would go with a floating deck just because of the wider mowing and less chance of scalping. With the 36" you don't scalp if you know what your are doing. For the money those units are priced pretty good for their size.

3. turfquip

turfquip LawnSite Senior Member

Those are excellent machines. Floating decks are nice but not necessary by any means. I used fixed deck, belt drive Buntons exclusively for ten years serving high end residentials.

No need to worry about scalping unless you are mowing an unnaturally rough area with mole hills, exposed roots, etc.

4. lawnboy11

lawnboy11 Banned

That was/is my first 36" WB and I like it a lot. I have not had any slippage problems in wet weather. I also got a sulky from jungle wheels and that is awesome. I never really change the height except like mentioned with the front casters.

Any one have a leaf blow out problem with this machine? I'm sure I have to adjust the level or something, but it is pitched forward now.

5. lawnworker

lawnworker LawnSite Senior Member

on a fixed deck you adjust blade heights buy the spacers on blade bolt i can do this on my exmark 48 walk behind gear drive in 60 seconds for all 3 blades.pull the bars down and tie to the wire mesh gate and go to town with the wrenches

6. tazman

tazman LawnSite Member

Lawnboy11, how well does the the jungle jim work with the GS30? I have thought about it but always the the mower was under-powered for that.

In regards to the blade spacer adjustment, the GS30 does not have that. You adjust the height by the full deck or the front wheel casters.

7. turfquip

A 12.5 KAW is plenty of power to haul you around providing you are say, under 200 lbs and not climbing mountains with it.

8. Mid Rivers

Mid Rivers LawnSite Member

spoken like a true salesman Turf!

9. turfquip

Thanks. I think. I don't want to be considered a pitch man but maybe it's too late.

Seriously, I'm 170 and I used to have an old Bunton 52 with a 12.5 haul me around on a Velke. Anywhere I felt the engine was doing too much work (like on a hill) I hopped off and walked.

10. lawnboy11

lawnboy11 Banned

It works great for me, not too fat and not too hilly! I got them on ebay from the company last year, check there for lower priced scratch models.