JD GS 30 walkbehinds

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by stuie, Jul 31, 2005.

1. stuie

stuie LawnSite Member

John Deere GS 30 Walkbehinds
    What are peoples opinions on these those that have used them?

How good is the grass collection ability on them?

13-hp overhead-valve engine
    36- or 48-inch deck standard
    54-inch deck available
    2-year warranty on complete machine
    Heavy-duty 5-speed gear transmission
    Cogged drive belt for better tractive performance
    List price: $2,599.00* (U.S.) with 36-inch deck

$5300 Australian $$$ may deal though
    No brand bashing please just real opinions! :D

2. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Only 13 hp, you better stick with the 36" deck. The 13 can't handle the 48 let alone the 52. The price for the 36 doesn't seem to bad as long as the service and parts departments are as good as i've heard they were.
  3. stuie

stuie LawnSite Member

36 is the biggest i could go due to gates etc
  4. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Then i would run with it! My 48 can fit through 36" gates even smaller when i put it in at an angle. But, 13 hp won't power a 48. Good luck!
  5. True Cut Lawn Maintenance

True Cut Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Senior Member

i worked at a JD dealer and the parts departments are as good as people say

i almost bought one but for the size of yards im targeting a 38 tractor was more along what i wanted
  6. lawnmasters2004

lawnmasters2004 LawnSite Member

I have two of them (GS25 and GS30.. same thing) and they are incredible. One of mine has the kawasaki on it and the other has the kohler. The grass collecting abilities are ok, but not too great for tall grass. I made an adapter on the side of the bag tower that allows me to mulch, discharage, and bag without taking 10 minutes. That has saved me tons of time and allowed the bag to be much more productive beings that the grass is knocked down first. I would have to say they are totally bad ass mowers for the money.
  7. lawnguyland

lawnguyland LawnSite Bronze Member

I bought a gs30 3 years ago and bought another last year because I like them and wanted to have a back-up 36". Then when the first one blows up (hopefully never) I can strip it for parts to keep the newer one going if it ever needs a part.
    Also after using it for a year and a half (1st one) I took it into the dealer and they did about 500$ of work all under warranty (2 yr commercial). Sweet.
  8. Scapegoat

Scapegoat LawnSite Member

I've had mine a little over a month or so. I think it's great! Mine is 1999 but runs like new. Great clean cut, motor is strong. No complaints at all.

I've been side discharging, but ordered the mulch kit which hasn't come in yet.
  9. MacPhersonlawn

MacPhersonlawn LawnSite Member

I have a gs 30 that I bought used (4 yrs old) a year ago and it still starts on the first pull (thank god because there is no electric start). It gives a great cut and plenty of power for the 36 deck. Reverse is useless.
  10. stuie

stuie LawnSite Member

Any chance of a photo of the setup of this? :D
    Was talking to a rep today and he stated that Walkbehinds were no good at catching grass.Can those that run catchers comment on this.In long grass is double cutting required?
    Using 21in s at the moment,how would the cut of these mowers compare to a JD.