JD GS30 to a Gravley 34z

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by fairwayCuts, Sep 30, 2004.

1. fairwayCuts

fairwayCuts LawnSite Member

I was down at the expo in louisville and saw the gravley 34z and think it may be the ticket. Right now I've got the JD GS30 36" wb and it's a great mower, but it sure gets tired walking behind that thing 8hrs a day. I was thinking about getting a proslide for the JD but after seeing the 34z it might be worth the investment. Wondering how the gravley lines are and any input on the 34z. Also, if I were going to sell my JD what do you think I could get for it. It's a 2004, 150 or less hours, bagging and mulching kit, gator blades, 2 sets of factory blades. new around 2800, I was thinking of selling it for 2200 or 2300??

2. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

Used belt drives aren't in super high demand from what I have seen lately in Ebay trends. They are saleable, but people seem more interested in the lower price ranges. I have a 1.5 y/o 32" toro that I have $2600 in that has maybe 60 hours, but I bet I couldn't get $1500 for it. The trend really seems to be towards hydros unless someone just wants a cheap unit as a backup or for ocassional use in gated areas. And they probably aren't going to spend over $2000 on it unless they are real sure of its history. I assume yours is also a pistol grip model, which isn't a plus, either. But, find the right buyer and you could get your price. I'd sell it just before Spring to get top dollar.

I'm also probably going to a 34z instead of the wb/sulky route for small areas next year.

3. rookiemower

rookiemower LawnSite Senior Member

Gravely builds a great machine. i demoed it also at expo and it was very nice, build very tough and ive heard nothing but good about em on here

4. Psych-O

Psych-O LawnSite Member

I just got my 34z today :D and I had a blast cutting my customer's yard. I had so much fun on it that I came home and cut mine also. This is my first rider and I was alittle intimidated at first, but was able to get the hang of it pretty quickly. Still need more seat time. The mulching blades cut really well. Will keep ya'll posted on it's progress. Do have one question for anyone else that has one, Does your hydro units have one cooling fan or two? Mine has one fan on it's right side, just curious.

5. fairwayCuts

fairwayCuts LawnSite Member

thanks for the input :) . I think your right saynig don't sell it untill spring, but maby I'll throw an add in the paper and see what I get.

Psych-o - Sounds like you're likeing the new 34 z which is good news. Couple of questions, does it really fit through gates well without any hassel? Do you have a bagging kit for it, and how easy is it to go from bagging to side discharge? Hows the HP? And if you don't mind, how much did she end up running you?

6. JPLAWNSERVICE

JPLAWNSERVICE LawnSite Member

Phsyc-o, the bigger 100 series gravely mowers only have one cooling fan on them too, it is on the right side pump. I am not sure about the 200 series mowers though.

7. Psych-O

Psych-O LawnSite Member

does it really fit through gates well without any hassel? Do you have a bagging kit for it, and how easy is it to go from bagging to side discharge? Hows the HP? And if you don't mind, how much did she end up running you?[/QUOTE]

Haven't found a 36" gate yet, didn't get a bagging kit. HP is great for it's size, more than enough. Here in LA it ran me $4,200.00, but I think the quilaty was worth it. :cool: