1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

JD handheld good stuff or good luck?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by deerex, Sep 19, 2007.

1. deerex

deerex LawnSite Member

I have owned nothing but John Deere hand held EQ. I have 9 pieces blowers, hedge trimmers and line trimmers all commercial line and have never a problem with any of it. I have never used any other line of other commercial hand held. To me they seem very well built. So is it good stuff or just my good luck? All of my pieces are 2004 or newer.
  2. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

since jd dosnt make any of it themselfs what good does it do to brag about it
  3. deerex

deerex LawnSite Member

I wasnt trying to brag. I was just trying to see if any else has had good luck also! I take my post rubbed you the wrong way:laugh: I dont know who makes all the JD stuff I have. Maby it is made by Yugo:cry:

4. T Total Lawncare

T Total Lawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from The deep south

Good grief man all he was doing was asking a question. I would hardly call it bragging when a man expresses when he is pleased with some pieces of equipment.

But since he brought it up I have a hand held blower and a edger with JD stamped on them and I have been pleased with them. I will say they wouldn't have been my first choice due to unfamiliarness with who makes their hand helds. But the local dealer went under and their was some left-over inventory I came across. I got both pieces for 200$ and I couldn't turn that deal down.:cool2: The blower is a 4 stroke and made by Robin, not sure who makes the edger but might be a robin as well. The grip on the edger is identical to the one on my Stihl but different colors but that probably doesn't mean anything.
  5. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

sorry- i didnt mean to be rude. jd sells good machines but you will be in trouble when you go to get parts down the road. their parts support is very poor for older stuff . its best to buy machines that the seller actually builds to avoid being orfounded later.
  6. deerex

deerex LawnSite Member

Good point lawnboy dan. I do have very good overall support in my area. But that sounds like something to consider when purchasing my next hand held.
  7. sawman65

sawman65 LawnSite Senior Member

its luck and your maintance of course.
  8. Oasis-Outdoor

Oasis-Outdoor LawnSite Member

Back in 2005 - 2006 I worked for a large landscape co. that had a massive amount of mowing & maintenance accounts. They ran John Deere blowers, trimmers, and push mowers (for the tight areas). I never saw any preventive maintenance performed on these items, and they always started on the first pull and performed flawlessly. I even borrowed the JD push mower one evening to get caught up on my yard when my mower was out of service. Very good equipment!