1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Jd Jx85 Comments

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ilovethisgame, Sep 14, 2002.

1. ilovethisgame

ilovethisgame LawnSite Member

Unfortunatly it has come time for my 21" 2cycle Toro Proline to assume a back up role. Due to CA's horrid air restriction laws 2cycle mowers have been unavailable for about 5 years now. Most of the Toro dealers around here have been less than helpful so, I'm looking at the JD JX85 mower l'd just like any feedback positive or negative from past or current owners as l have never used one. Would also like to know if it mulches well.

p.s. The same guys who deal Toro also deal Honda,Snapper... Plus l've used most of them and don't like how they mulch anyhow :(

p.p.s. Any dealers willing to ship a new 21" 2 cycle bbc Proline to CA? (assuming that's legal) Let me know :p
  2. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I have the JX75, which is the home owner version of the JX85. It mulches ok, but for a better cut I'd use the bagger. There's not a lot of differece between the 2 mowers, except the price! The JX85 has an oil filter, better wheels,deck edge guards, and better height adjusters.
  3. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Mine is about 5 years old, but I have only had it about 3 years. It's hard to get it in 5th gear, but really other than that, it has served me well. IMHO, it mulches well and bags well also. For the last 3 years it has started on the 1st pull EVERYTIME. Even when my hand has slipped half way through the pull stroke. 6hp Kaw engine is very reliable. From the research I have done here, it seems that the Honda has been one of the favorites, but I have personally never owned one.

4. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Make sure you get the steel wheels.

Only trouble I have had is the blade engagement lever breaks and the throttle/choke is finicky.

Mine gets a lot of sun so plastic parts like the blade control get brittle.

Great cut. Really heavy if you have to lift it. I always drop the gate to trailer it and yell at my employees if I catch them trying to lift it. I think its 160 lbs, but I may be wrong.

5. walker-talker

from Midwest

Oh yea.....i guess I have made some minor repairs to mine also. The lever that engages the tranmission has been repalced. It fell off 2 while driving down the road, once I did not find it. I also replaced the cable for engaging the transmission, the spring broke, but you have to replace the entire cable with the spring attached. The JX85 comes with steel wheels as a standard.

6. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I have used the JX85 and 75 mowers and previous model,14SB, for years. Wouldn't use anything else. Get the 75 as it is not quite as heavy. You can add the heavy duty height adj. brackets , or the steel wheels later if you want them, as all parts are interchangable on the 75 and 85. The plastic wheels last as long as the metal ones I have found. On the plastic, the tread wears down. On the metal ones, the tread peals off the wheel.
    Bad points: We use the heck out of ours and they eat one trans./year.
    Good points: Great mulcher and great bagger; Love the blade clutch; Kawi. engine is bullet proof; many speed settings for self propel; easy to dump bag; only weighs about 110 lbs.
    I currently own 5 of these and we run the heck out of them. Oldest is now 6 years old and runs great.:)
  7. walker-talker

from Midwest

If you do go with the JX75, I would suggest getting the full lubrication kit so that you will have an oil filter. If I remember correctly, they are only $40 installed. They even make an insert for discharging. I think they are only like $30. I don't have one, but it is on my list. Right now if I want to discharge, I just lift the rear flap and keep it up with a couple of bungie cords.

Good luck
  8. Toro 4-stroke, mine is briggs 6.5hp. A lot of power in tall wet grass. I use it with double blade, excelent mulcher and bagger.

Kawi 6hp is also available.

This is the same chassis as your old proline, so you gonna have some spare part. cable, wheel, trany, etc...
  9. Currier

Currier LawnSite Senior Member

I bought a jx85 this year after years of trying to justify the $$. It is an excellent machine and I have no regrets about the $$. It performs very well and I imagine it will last several years. A very solid machine with a great cut.
  10. joed

joed LawnSite Bronze Member

I've owned the JX85 for the past 4 years. Here is what I have found:
    Strong Points
    1. Kawasaki Engine: Incredible, bullet-proof reliable engine. I had the rpms raised from 3150 to 3600 and this has made a big difference in performance. The mower moves much quicker and leaves a better cut too.
    2. Cut- The JX85 leaves, in my opinion, the best cut of any 21" mower I have used and I also run a Toro Proline with the 6.5 Briggs engine. It is outstanding as a bagger and this year, I started side discharging with it. You can get a side discharge chute for $30 Canadian. It works quite well and leaves a great cut in wet conditions, though you have to stop to put the bagger on to collect clippings when they get too high. Finally, it is pretty good as a mulcher but not as good as my Toro.
    3. Reliability- No major problems in the 4 years of ownership.

Weak Points
    1. Bag-way too small.
    2. Discharge-wish it had a discharge chute on the side not the back.

I don't think you'll regret this as a choice. Good luck!