JD L120 Vs. Ariens ZTR

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by shmoe, Jul 23, 2005.

1. shmoe

shmoe LawnSite Member

I know this is a commercial site, thought if anyone could help me out it would be this board. I currently mow 2/3 acres with a JD L120 48". After 3.4 hours on the HD JD the drive belt was smoking under my seat. The warranty people said it would be $60 for pickup and delivery and would have to charge me a new belt because it is not under warranty. I also do not like the turn radius because I have a fence back yard and 7 trees with two landscape sections to mow around. I continue to do larg loops to complete each section. The yellow reverse button is a pain and the reverse foot lever is not the easiest. The last complaint about the JD L120 is the fuel tank under the seat is not close to the edge of the mower and this cause fuel spill everytime I fill. I just moved to the North and it snows approx 45"/year and was planning to use a blade for snow removal on my driveway. (Is 45" enough to need a blade?) I want to return this mower back to HD and look into an Ariens ZTR from a local dealer, but will not be able to use a snow blade. My budget is approx. $3000. Any thoughts or solutions.
  2. Scotts' Yard Care

Scotts' Yard Care LawnSite Senior Member

Would you consider one of those instead of a blade? Unless you have a bucket to both move and pile the snow you sometimes run out of a place to put the accumulation and a good tractor and blower will obviate this problem.