JD LT166 blades not staying engaged

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by mcambrose, Jun 25, 2013.

1. mcambrose

mcambrose LawnSite Senior Member

I have an older model John Deere LT166 riding mower that engages the blades by rotating a lever to move an idler pulley. The lever will not stay in the engaged position. If I put a lightweight bungee cord on it just as a helper, you can engage and disengage safely, but I wanted to fix it correctly. The belt was very old, so I thought maybe it was too stretched to provide enough tension to stay engaged. I replaced the belt, but it still doesn't stay engaged. Does anyone know if there is an adjustment for belt tensioning that might solve the problem? Is there supposed to be some notch that the arm engages into that is likely worn down? Thanks for any help.

2. GVL LLC

GVL LLC LawnSite Member

is there a belt tensioner spring that has broken. Ive had that happen with an electronic pto before where the end of the spring broke and there was no tension on the pto belt causing the blades to not want to engage. replaced the spring and it worked great.

3. mcambrose

mcambrose LawnSite Senior Member

The blades engage fine and belt doesn't slip as long as the engagement arm is held in place. I don't see any tensioner spring. Thanks

4. Bashby

Bashby LawnSite Senior Member

5. GVL LLC

GVL LLC LawnSite Member

The belt wont slip it just wont have enough tension to engage when the spring is in place the belt will have enough tension to engage.