1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

JD Max Ztrak 777 Trouble!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rguthrie, Apr 10, 2006.

1. rguthrie

rguthrie LawnSite Member

I have a new (.4 hours when I got it) 777 that mowed for 2.5 acers and started to give out a high loud squeak only in forward and reverse. Also smelled hot and was losing power...shut it down and called Deere. They got it on Sat and today said nothing was wrong!!!! My wife could here the noise it was making in the office. Does anyone have any idea what was going on or have you had it happen to you?
  2. JTF40

JTF40 LawnSite Senior Member

Doesn't sound good - I heard it down here in TN.:hammerhead:

Seriously, don't worry too much. Deere will take care of it.:usflag:
  3. deereman

deereman LawnSite Senior Member
    from USA

I think that I might know what is giving you a prob. Does it need to be ran for a little first? It sounds just like mine did when mine was brand new. All mine was the parking brake is set up to much. My was set up to Deere specs and it still schreeched just like you described. AFTER it was ran for a little. The dealer checked it said it was fine but I demanded that they back it off a little, and now, nice and quiet like it should be. Let me know what you did and came up with. :)
  4. rguthrie

rguthrie LawnSite Member

Thanks much for your help. I will send this to my dealer. I ran the same run last night and it worked like a top. No trouble. Deer said nothing wrong...but something changed!!!! Love the job it does...Wow!
  5. deereman

from USA

Our dealer did measure the specs on the brakes and there was according to the Deere specs correct clearance between the drum and the brake shoes. But I was persistant that they adjust them as they did not want to do this. But let me know what did come up with your machine ! As I am 99.9% sure that is what your prob. is.
  6. greenescaper

greenescaper LawnSite Member

They are awesome mowers aren't they..? I have a 757 and absolutly love it !!
  7. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

If your dealer does not fix the problem ask him if he would like to have it back under the 30 guarantee that JD has to take it back for full refund (or they had it 2 years ago anyway).
  8. deereman

from USA

What was the prob with the mower? I know that this is an old thread , just wondering.
  9. Grassman6

Grassman6 LawnSite Member

Check the jackshaft (double pulley) at the center rear of the deck. They rob power, smell like burnt grease and don't act up until they get hot. Remove the non-discharge spindle cover and with a gloved hand you can overcome the deck belt tension to remove the deck belt. The move to the rear and pull the mule belt (PTO to deck) off with an 18mm wrench on the manual adjuster pulley. Now the jackshaft is free to check for wobble and free spin. If there is any grease on top...you need another one.