jd mulch kit.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by chefdrp, Sep 9, 2003.

1. chefdrp

chefdrp LawnSite Bronze Member

does anyone have a pic of a mulch kit for a JD 737? is it easy on and off? i orderd one the other day.

2. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

I have one for my 60" 757. I'll try to get a picture tomorrow. No, its not easy on and off. Once you put it on, you won't want to take it off unless you absolutely have to.

3. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

The place you ordered it from didn't have a picture?

4. chefdrp

well goat, i orderd it over the phone from my jd dealer.

5. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

Installing the mulch kit ought to be a fairly simple, straight forward operation. Couldn't find any photos of one that showed its pieces though, suggest going by JD dealer if you can find time between cutting and chefing.

6. topcat

topcat LawnSite Member
    from Bflo

I have one for my JD 737. It takes about 20 - 30 minutes to install. All holes etc are pre-drilled so it is just a bolt on although some bolts are in some tight places. In addition to the standard JD mulch blades I am currently running also one of the very thin Bobcat highlift straight cut 16" blades on each spindle on the bottom of the JD blade. On the lawns I cut, which are from very weedy to pure grass, I was able to see a better looking cut with the doubles. I have a tach and the rpms with the doubles goes between 3600 - 3300 while actually mowing so it's really not a strain on the motor. I also bought some of those gator style mulching blades that fit the JD spindles and gave them a quick test with the highlifts. I plan on using the gator style with either another gator mulching blade or a highlift when leaves start hitting. I like the mulch kit because it cuts down on the grass clippings going in the mulch beds at some homes I cut and it gets rid of those long grass clippings that are visible laying on top of the grass if you are just dispersing the clippings. With the mulch kit a underdeck buildup of grass will occur if your cutting wet grass although the lawn will look ok with no clumps showing. The next thing I'm looking to try to find is a OCDC that will fit on the 737 so that I don't have to be locked into running the JD mulch kit particularly for fall leaf cleanups. I would really prefer to just blow the leaf clippings into rows and suck up any visible pieces if they are visible with another bagger mower.

7. chefdrp

hey thanx topcat. I am only like 1.5 hrs from you i think. where in Buffalo are you?

8. topcat

topcat LawnSite Member
    from Bflo

I'm south of Bflo in Boston.