JD or New Holland

Discussion in 'Tractors' started by naturescaretaker, Nov 2, 2004.

1. naturescaretaker

naturescaretaker LawnSite Senior Member

We are going to be buying another tractor next week. We are looking at the JD 4720 and the New Holland TC55DA. They will be used to Bush Hog mostly but will also have a bucket loader, box blade, forks. ANY feedback would be appreciated.

2. The Yard Barber Inc.

The Yard Barber Inc. LawnSite Member

they are both great machines. Kubota makes a good tractor too. don't just get you mind set on one or two types of equipment you can save a lot of money and still have a great machine if you have an open mind.
  3. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

Both are good tractors. I am not a big JD fan so therefore I would get the NH. You may also want to check Kubota like the previous post said. Again both are good tractors so just get the one that you like the best.
  4. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Drove the New Holland at Louisville. The new supersteer is AWESOME. You can turn that tractor on a dime. Literally. Hopefully over the next year or two I will need a new tractor. The NH with SuperSteer will be on the top of my list.
  5. Smalltimer1

Smalltimer1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Deere has a better dealer service network, and a better parts distribution system, so if a problem arises they can get you up and running faster than any other. The NH's are actually carbon copies of Case IH's now. So you're basically buying a Case with the NH name.
  6. kingenterprises

kingenterprises LawnSite Member

I have the TC55DA EHSS. It is an absolute beast in terms of power. The JD dealership in NW AR did not get my business because I could not get a 55HP tractor in a medium size frame.

Brush hogging is a pleasure with this machine because for the most part the power of the Turbo engine does not bog down. I mow very fast and very cleanly with a 6ft mid weight Bush Hog brand cutter. If I can run it down with the bucket I can cut it.

The engine in the NEw Holland TC55DA is the same engine New Holland puts in many of its skid steer loaders. It is a proven engine and has been worked hard in the past.

Cannot say enough good things about this tractor. For its size and weight, there is nothing on the market that will out work it. Consider this. It is still small enough to move on a trailer without dificulty.

Should you have any additional questions feel free to call or email me.

7. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

That email address didn't work...it came back to me undeliverable.
  8. fearthedeere

fearthedeere LawnSite Member

You won't be unhappy with a Deere. Just try'em both out and see what you think fits your needs the best. Keep in mind that Deere does have the best service network you can get with buying any piece of equipment.

You gotta figure out which you like/want the most though. Even though I'm a Deere fan I went with with Dixie Chopper and Exmark mowers.
  9. Last year I did some bushhogging with my new NH TC33D and afterwards it wouldn't start. Wires underneath got pulled apart traveling over the weeds. This winter the latch assembly corroded and I couldn't get the hood up without removing the assembly. Two weeks ago the PTO would not disengage. NH mechanic said spray some WD40 where the linkage enters the bell housing and wiggle it. Repeat daily until it loosens up. Mechanic said this happens and the WD40 trick works, he's never had to disassemble a transmission to fix this problem yet. Bad engineering is bad engineering and my next tractor will not be blue.
  10. kingenterprises

kingenterprises LawnSite Member

I have not had any problems with my email lately. Go ahead and try again.

The address is kking@2river.com

Feel free to give me a jingle at 479-444-5519.

King Enterprises