1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

JD or Stihl trimmer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by boxoffire, Aug 11, 2004.

1. boxoffire

boxoffire LawnSite Member

Ok, I think I have read enough about trimmers out here to conclude that you may as well buy commercial and save yourself time and money in the long run. I want something light and easy to start and durable. Think I am down to the JD or Stihl. From folks replies out here it appears they are the most durable. I live very close to a JD dealer where I bought my L110 last summer and they have trimmers. I think they a similar in pricing but not for sure on that.

Has Stihl been in the business of trimmers longer and which would you recommend? Ease of use and weight are important to me, and finally durability. Can I really not go wrong with either one?

Great site!

Adam in NC
  2. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

Of the two, I'd go with Stihl, like the 85... But you didn't mention what would be my choice... Kawasaki..
  3. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

The fs 85's are left to inventory on hand but the fs 80's are the same trimmer with a cable drive rather than a solid drive.
    we have both and Both models work very well.
  4. sthil been makeing trimmer for a longggggg time....stihl is very durable ...have no idea about jd ....but you cant wear a stihl out.
  5. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I will never use or buy another trimmer except for Stihl..they are made to last
  6. No Lawncares

No Lawncares LawnSite Member

I have to go with Stihl too. I will never buy any thing else. I have even lost my trimmer going 35 down the street, went back got it and not 1 thing wrong.
  7. Husky03

Husky03 LawnSite Senior Member

There seems to be a problem with the starting modules in Stihl products. I have had my edger for less than 2 months and the starter has went out twice. Has anyone else had this problem?
  8. green with envy

green with envy LawnSite Member

I have both a JD and a Stihl fs 85. The JD is lighter and the trimmer head is elevated about on inch. I like that it's hard to scalp the grass with the Jd.

That being said. I think the Stihl is the better built trimmer the JD is a bit of a pain in the assshh to re string and the engine is smaller.

If I have light trimming to do I'll bring the JD but if it will be a long day for the trimmer give me the Stihl.

Just my 2 cents worth.

9. Lawn Dog2001

Lawn Dog2001 LawnSite Bronze Member

You will not go wrong with Stihl. I think in the long run you will have much better luck with a Stihl than the Deere. We have two FS85s and they run great. I used to be a big Echo fan, but from now on I will only buy Stihl.
  10. NC Scaper

NC Scaper LawnSite Member