JD quik trac mowers?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by qualitylawnmanagement, Nov 5, 2006.

1. qualitylawnmanagement

qualitylawnmanagement LawnSite Bronze Member

Anyone using JD Quik Trac mowers? Are they any good or trash? From the movies on their website they seem to cut pretty good even on tall stuff. I am going after a bunch of smaller property's next year and need one on a big 20 acre condo's contract and thought why not get a stander instead of another walk-behind. The model I am looking at getting is the 647 48in. Also anyone using the 757 with the new mulch on demand deck? How are these machines doing? Also how are these with the JD bag kit on them? Do they make a clean pass? Don't get me wrong Dixie Fans I still am a die heart dixie fan and will always be but employees tear up to much turf with theses cause they move to quick. I still am buying another Dixie in the spring no matter what cause I took on a big contract but I need a stander and maybe a 757 if I get enough work to run this machine. And also the green fleet is tempting. How much of a discount do you get if you get the green fleet?
  2. Green Side Lawn Care

Green Side Lawn Care LawnSite Member

i run all john deere equipment and there z tracs in my opinion are very dependable and you cant beat the service with a stick. i think the stand ons are a waste of money though. why not spend 2 more grand and get a z trac the stand ons take up just as much room. the mulch on demand works good in dry grass and not so good in wet grass????? but dont get me wrong it is nice around landscape beds and parking lots it does save on clean up time by alot. so i think it is worth the $800 dollars.
  3. qualitylawnmanagement

The reason why I want a JD stander is cause I got a bunch of smaller accounts lined up and the Choppers are to big for these property's. Yea sure I could do these with one of the 60's but it is overkilled for these size of propertys.
  4. Mowman29

Mowman29 LawnSite Member
    from OH

I was going to trade my Great Danes in this year and get 1 z-track stand on unit and a 755 or a 757 my dealer told me it will be hard to get parts for them because they are making the switch but they are great mowers. If I was you I would wait until spring to get the new 2007 model because most of the ones they have are 2005 models not 2006. they work great on hills and inclides. but make sure you have enought hp. My Great danes have a 16hp on a 48inch deck and a 18hp on a 52 inch deck. I also have a farris1000z 52 in with a 25 kaw. and 2 JD 935 front deck 3cyl kabota 72 inch front mont mowers. a toro 52 in 14hp kolher walk behind. all great mowers but the danes are getting old and I want to add at least one Z and maybe 2 walkers next sping but I still need a stand on for the hills when it rains and the walkbehind wants to slide on hills. I would save the 800-1000 dollars and just get a wright it will save you money because the only diffenece is the JD motor witch is a modified Kaw.
  5. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

6. instyle

instyle LawnSite Senior Member
    from Canada

I have two quick tracs, 647a's.

#1 - They are 11" shorter, then a 717
    #2 - They are 150lbs lighter then a 717
    #3 - They are $2000 cheaper than a 717
    #4 - Great visability
    #5 - They are small, so you can use them on small yards without the customer thinking it is over kill.
    #6 - The deck never has to be cleaned, it doesn't matter what type of grass, the deck is always clean.
    #7 - You get to use your legs as suspension

#1 - No bagger,
    #2 - When going trough tall or thick grass, it does leave a half cut strip unless you go real slow.

The MOD deck may be a very good deck, i had the mulch kits on mine, but the amount of crap lawn we cut meant that we had to go so slow when mulching, so i took them off, and they are not easy at all to remove. I am designing a bagger system right now for it and that should solve the problem.
    Because of the legnth of the machine being so short they turn real fast, and it is a bit harder to get a nice straight line.
    In my 16' trailer, i keep a tiller and a vacuum in front of the two 647 and the door stll closes.
  7. instyle

instyle LawnSite Senior Member
    from Canada

doesn't ZTR mean zero-turn. If so...the quick trac is also a zero trun.
  8. qualitylawnmanagement

Do you know the overall length and width of 647? Also how many acres can you mow an hour on one of these? I am really serious about down sizing my fleet and getting one of these to fit in smaller property's that the chopper is to big for. And I will be able to after alot more property's that I turned down cause I had to big of machines to do these property's with. So overall I think I will be putting more money in my pocket and increasing productivity
  9. Lawnsmithcare

Lawnsmithcare LawnSite Senior Member

You do know they have a bagger for it for like $345 or so check the web site under build your own it's there.
    Cloth Grass Catcher (3.5 Bushel) TCB10801 $343.00
  10. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Great Dane owned the patents JD wanted... hence the buyout of Great Dane.

But Great Dane has been sold to ACI/Everride.

I thought there was an agreement in place that they would build the QuickTraks.
    Maybe I'm wrong about that. (?)