JD Ride Ons whats the deal ???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by valley boy, Nov 27, 2004.

1. valley boy

valley boy LawnSite Member

Most guys out here seem to be using JD Ride ons whats up . My dealer said he sells more ride ons to LCO,s than walk behinds . Is it the price difference or flexibility for attachments . I was planning on buying a walk behind but now I do not know whats the best way to go. What do you guts think ????

2. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

I think that it depends on the type of property that you service weather you should buy a ztr or a walkbehind. If you have a lot of hilly propertys you probably need to consider a walkbehind. Walkbehinds are better for people just starting out because they are cheaper and keep overhead low. If most of your properties are flat and some are large a ztr would be a good choice.

3. valley boy

Up here most walk behinds start in the $4500 price range and a cheap JD Ride on starts at $2100.This makes me wonder if its really worth the extra bucks.

4. splatz100

splatz100 LawnSite Senior Member

then the walk behinds must be hydro drives

5. oldturf

oldturf LawnSite Member

When you say ride on,do you mean ZTR ,if so I think your numbers are reversed. If you are realy talking about cheap home owner type riders then I would not even consider the rider. I personally like ZTRs but I also use walk behinds, it just depends on your needs. If your in business do not let price get in your way, buy what you need.

6. valley boy

Yes home owner style ride ons , Various sizes and horse power ratings . there must be some advantage to using these machines ??? I would think its price related .

7. J.Gordon

J.Gordon LawnSite Senior Member

I wouldnÂ’t trade my Hustler SWB with the BullRider for half dozen-homeowner riders! And it cost more than $4,500, it is worth every penny that I paid for it.

8. chefdrp

chefdrp LawnSite Bronze Member

you must mean a lawn tractor? around here everyone had them too. I was one of the first to have a ZTR and now there are tons. I also have a H/D wb with sulky. Hardy anyone uses a H/D W/B with sulky here. People look at me like i am crazy. it all depends on what type of lawn you are doing as to your needs. Def get a commercial W/B or ZTR. If its price check out Lesco. I have both Lesco and JD.

9. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Just because "everyone else" is using beer-budget equipment, doesn't mean you should. Rider mowers = huge waste of time. Too much wasted motion just turning around, etc.