JD riding mower/tractor hubcap removal?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by torysemo, Aug 24, 2005.

1. torysemo

torysemo LawnSite Member

The basics: I'm trying to remove a flat rear tire/wheel for repair, but can't even get the small hubcap off! It seems to be plenty loose and is made of a sort of rubbery material on top and around the base, but there's a metal ring that seems determined to keep the thing from coming off. What's the secret or appropriate tool to get this off? Pry-bars, claw hammers, screw drivers and large channel locks have been tried to no avail! Does this take a specialized puller or what am I doing wrong?

Also, once I get the hubcap off, what am I likely to face there? Anything "exotic"? (Never thought I'd get stymied by something so simple as this hubcap; it's embarrassing!)

Background: I mow 5-10 rough lawn and pasture acres with a little JD lawn tractor that just fits in the bed of my pickup. I've been plagued with flat tires lately (too many thorn trees around!), but green Slime has always rescued me before. Now I've got a rear tire flat, but I think it's the valve stem this time as fresh air just hisses out around the valve stem. The Slime just isn't doing the job.

Since I can't get this heavy critter up the hill to where I can use my loading ramps to get it into the pickup, the wheel needs to come off.

Thanks for any help!

2. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

I need a model number of the tractor. So I can figure out which tractor you are talking about to get it off. Also smalltimer1 should be able to help you.

3. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Take your channel lock pliers and adjust them where the top jaw will grab the back of the outside edge on top of the cap and the bottom jaw touches the lower outer edge of the bottom of the cap, Push down and it should pop right off.