JD RX-75 plug and solenoid changeout questions

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by rbig, Mar 12, 2005.

1. rbig

rbig LawnSite Member

I need to changeout a spark plug and solenoid. My engine tech manual is sparse on info in this area.

I assume I need to remove the fiberglass body shroud. How do I do this? Looks like there might be two nuts in the back, hidden away up under the shroud lip, and hopefully two in the front.

Another question is how do I get the knobs on the levers off to complete shroud removal? I'm not sure how they're kept on there. Mine don't want to come of by tugging and wiggling. Do they slip off? If so, I just need to get mean with 'em.

2. MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC LawnSite Senior Member

Im not sure on what you mean by removing the fiberglass body shroud. However for the knobs, they are usually glued/pressed on. Usually the round ones are threaded on, so just twist the knobs counter clockwise. If its not a round knob, chances are there glued on. Get a pair of vise grips or pliers and grip the lever and pull on the knobs, they will come off. When they let loose, be careful cause they really let loose. You can use a little heat if your careful to help loosen the knobs if they are glued. Just dont melt the knobs.

3. rbig

rbig LawnSite Member

Thanks. I was able to get the knobs off. the fiberglass shell is what's holding me up now. I suspect is simple to remove. I can see the two bolts in back holding it on, but don't see how it being held down up front.

4. MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC LawnSite Senior Member

I'm assuming the hood opens forward on the mower. There should be a hinge on the bottom of the front of the mower. Usually held on by a few bolts. Take out the bolts and the whole hood assembly should come right off. I havent seen it up close, but it should be fairly simple to remove the hood. The spark plug and solenoid should not be that hard to change either once the hood is off. Good luck with it.

5. rbig

rbig LawnSite Member

Dunno. I'll go out and take another look at it. 'Til now, my impression is that the body panel is bolted down at maybe 4 points.