JD Skid Steer Ground Clearance Question

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by ddivinia, Jul 12, 2008.

1. ddivinia

ddivinia LawnSite Member
    from Texas

I am debating track vs. wheel.

I saw these ground clearance numbers on the JDs.

325 - 9"
    328 - 11"
    332 - 9.5"

Why the difference? Wheel/tire combination?

I am worried about burying this thing - the extra clearance is a consideration.

D.

2. Digdeep

Digdeep LawnSite Bronze Member

The tires will impact the ground clearance and width of a skid. Many skids that go to Europe go with narrower tires because the Europeans like narrower machines.

3. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

And the aren't much better in the CTL's, if you like Deere and you want ground clearance that will actually clear an ant, put OTT tracks on or the Loegering VTS, that raises the machine by like 2" on most brands.

4. Tigerotor77W

Tigerotor77W LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Germany

I'm actually not sure why the 332 has less ground clearance -- Deere might put larger axle groups on it to add to axle torque -- but the 325 has 12x16.5 tires while the 328 and 332 run 14s.

5. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

I would also guess that the chain case is the culprit. The larger heavier chain drives need more room.

There are a couple guys on here with a 332 and could give an opinion on the effect of the reduced clearance on this machine.

6. crab

crab LawnSite Senior Member

i assume you're talking wheel machines ,witch i cant comment on,i can say I've never been stuck in a skid except for one time back filling this foundation???truthfully if you are a good operator 2 inches should not make that much of a difference ,other than what you hit up top,Ron you can always trade for Deere or case!:drinkup:

7. bobcat_ron

This is what happens to a lot of Deere's in my neck of the woods, this job the owner was driving off a 6" concrete edge and because of the poor angle of departure and low ground clearance, well he got stuck! :laugh:

Pictures 726.jpg

8. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

And if that was not enough, there you were with a camera to make matters worse, no doubt telling him that with another inch or two of (CAT) clearance he would not be stuck. Made his day I am sure.:clapping:

9. bobcat_ron

Not really, I was there only as a bystander, but they had to push it out with a much larger Deere loader though.

But ironically enough, I travelled through that same patch and over that edge with my Cat and had no problems.

10. Tigerotor77W

Tigerotor77W LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Germany

You had tracks!