JD suspension

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by derekarbeiter, May 8, 2008.

1. derekarbeiter

derekarbeiter LawnSite Member

Hi,

I have a JD 717A with the deluxe seat. Although comfortable, there are areas that I mow that can be very rough when mowing at top speed. What is the best suspension kit available for this model? I have seen some for mid and max series z-traks but I want one for the mini series of course. I dont want to spend and arm and a leg, I already do that with the fuel prices.:dizzy:

2. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

You can put the air pressure to 8-10 psi which has no cutting effect on most ZTR's. There is no substitution for a full suspension seat and even that can still be rough sometimes. You can get the best they make (Michigan full suspension seat) at Northern Tool for $319 but it's black. I've always complained that Deere should use a full suspension seat. You could go to an Exmark dealer and get the same seat in grey but it will cost you $500 to $700. Even if you buy a full suspension seat you may need to rig the auto shut off up to work when you get off the seat. I just ordered one from Exmark $500, it is grey with no Exmark emblems but has the Exmark jump wire for the seat shut off. Exmark, Scag, Hustler etc all use the Michigan seat.

3. derekarbeiter

derekarbeiter LawnSite Member

Thanks Tacoma 200

I will have to check that out. I really like the delux seat on these models but sometimes I think the cusion on the cheaper seats have more give in them.:)

4. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

The Michigan seat is firm but the suspension works better and is more stable. It also sits lower on the Lazer. I know guys that like the standard seat. The high back standard seat on a Scag isn't bad at all.