JD vs. Hustler ZTR

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by captn, Feb 8, 2008.

1. captn

captn LawnSite Member

I will be purchasing a ZTR mower this spring to mow my residential 2.5 acre property in IL. I'm posting here for wider advice.

I think I have narrowed it down to the JD z425, or the Hustler Fastrack.

JD z425 is cheaper and has larger 22" drive wheels and better cut quality rating (according to several mag reviews), higher power at 23hp, and also claims more accessory options. Downside is 3.5 gal fuel capacity, with Briggs power...but is that really a downside?

The Hustler has the fab deck and better choices of engines outside the Briggs, and also has a 10gal fuel capacity. downside is price, smaller drive wheels, 19hp Kohler, and dealer proximity.

Without getting into fab deck vs stamped deck debate here, because I really don't think it matters unless to beat the crap out of it, which is the better Machine for residential?
  2. cybervision

cybervision LawnSite Senior Member

Have you done any DEMO's of these units?
    You should be able to get a Fastrak to demo. Is that model JD sold by dealers or the Big Box store?
    You should demo them both if possible. If not, at least demo the Fastrak. The smaller Hustler decks do give some folks cutting problems. The JD commercial mowers cut well for most folks. I don't know about the homeowner models though.
  3. Pro Edge Lawn & Landscape

Pro Edge Lawn & Landscape LawnSite Member

Where you live is a big factor
  4. Pro Edge Lawn & Landscape

Are going to bag or side disharge
  5. tyaroch

tyaroch LawnSite Member
    from MI

If you can demo each of them I am sure it would help you decide. One of the main reasons I bought deere is because the dealer is 1.5 miles from my house. I only cut my residential with mine, about 5 acres. I just want to be nearby for parts. You know how it is, you go to work on something and you need one more little part before you get done and it is another trip to get it. I am sure Hustler is a great mower as well.
  6. captn

captn LawnSite Member

my neighbor has the Fastrack which i have tested. I can buy an 07 52" for $4,600. It has the Kohler. the 08 models are $5500 to $5700 depending on the power option.

I didn't want to buy the Fastrack without researching options. I went straight to a Deere dealer for info in the Z425. the JD z425 runs about $3,900 and is not sold in the Big Box stores....they only have the z225 which is much less sturdy.
  7. captn

captn LawnSite Member

I'll either discharge or mulch.
  8. Pro Edge Lawn & Landscape

I have used the hustler and they are built to last (commercial use) the only deer products I see are beat up and for sale cheep! If it is for you only you should be ok. Let the price and dealer location make up your mind
  9. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

Hustler. That was an easy one!
  10. GravelyNut

GravelyNut LawnSite Bronze Member

:drinkup: You're biased so let me say it. Hustler!!! :D