1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

JD vs Stihl, Shindaiwa, RedMax

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lugnut, Jan 15, 2006.

1. Lugnut

Lugnut LawnSite Senior Member

Im looking at buying John Deere extended reach hedge trimmers and a pole pruner...the price is considerably less than stihl, shindaiwa, redmax, etc. I was wondering if anyone on here has any experiences with the small JD equipment and if you have any opinions...Thanks

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Good 1 not sure i know the cub cadet power equipment is made in japan not sure of the name.
  3. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Tried it, and returned it the next day, i didn't like it at all, it was a trimmer, don't remember the model or anything. went out and bought a stihl a week later and that thing is the best!!
  4. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

i would avoid all john deere hand held equiptment as their dealers have a hard time getting parts for them. best to get from a major brand that actually makes their own stuff.
  5. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

I second that! Deere small engine equipmnet is very inconsitenet when it comes to quality because they buy from differnet vendors all the time. Its one thing that really hurts Deere. If they got that fixed they could be a much bigger player in the market.

JKOOPERS LawnSite Bronze Member

just stay away from deere products and you will be fine. :nono: :nono: the main thing is all there trimmers and blowers weigh a frickin ton . just like i tell all of my customers YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR . imo redmax is by far the best 2 cycle equipment out there .
  7. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

Bypass the Deere--Stihl,Shindawa,Redmax are all first class products.But with Stihl, there usually is a dealer on every corner,in every little hamlet in the USA.Sthil's extensive parts distribution, makes parts very easy to obtain.If obtaining parts for the Shindawa and Redmax is not a problem,both make excellent equipment.
  8. Cobra Jock

Cobra Jock LawnSite Member

What he said!:)

9. Lugnut

Lugnut LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks alot for the responses...Looks like the Deere isn't such a great deal afterall...i think ill go with Stihl or Redmax
  10. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

I use exclusively Deere handheld equipment and couldn't be happier with the products regarding power/weight/balance ratios and dependability going on 5 years now for most of it. However, I recently had to buy a $110 carb for my BP50 backpack simply because the dealer could not get the $12 rebuild kit after 3 weeks of trying:realmad: What really steamed me was that when looking online the highest carb for the other brands was like $70 even for the Kawasaki, which is what my blower has on it.:blob2: :blob2: I must admit, I am having second thoughts because when my equipment gets old, I've got to have parts and they need to be affordable.