JD Walkbehinid rear wheel assembly

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by john_incircuit, Jul 25, 2006.

1. john_incircuit

john_incircuit LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

I replaced the rear wheel dust shield on our little John Deere JA 62 push mower and didn’t pay attention on which way the metal pinion is mounted that drives the wheel. Not sure if I describe this here correctly, but I’m talking about the little metal pinion wheel that is mounted on the outside of both drive axels and drives the plastic spur gear inside the real wheel. I’ll attach a drawing, the part in question is part # “9”.

The drawing lists the same part number for either side, but does not state if the part is mounted so that it free spins clockwise or counter clockwise, or if one should free spin clockwise and the other one counter clockwise…

The way I have both pinions mounted now, one rear wheel spins freely forward, the other rear wheel free spins backwards. This means that only one wheel is driving.

Is this correct?

Thanks -- John

JS 62 -63 real wheel assembly.JPG

2. fly-4-fun

fly-4-fun LawnSite Member

If you'll send me a private message with your email address, I'll send you a shop manual for your mower in .pdf format.

3. john_incircuit

from NC

Thanks!! --

John

4. john_incircuit

from NC

OK, I figured it out, the drawing above is not correct. The assembly sequence shown is for the other rear wheel.

I flipped the metal pinion around on one side, both of the rear wheels free spin now when I push the mower forward and everything seems to be OK.

Thanks -- JOhn