Jd Z-trak

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MWS LAWN, Dec 19, 2001.

1. MWS LAWN

MWS LAWN LawnSite Member

I'm new to the list only been on a couple days. Its a graet site. The season starting to slow down, so I finally have some time to see whats going on in other parts of the country. My question is: I have a JD Z-TRAK 60in cut, its been a great machine. Just wanting to see if any other companies out there are using them. Mine has about 600hrs on it now, just tring to foresee any problems that others have delt with. Altalawncare Thank You, It's a pleasure to be here Billy.

2. lee b

lee b LawnSite Fanatic

Join the club, a very small exclusive club on this site. I have a M665 z and it's been great also, 300 trouble-free hours of hard use on rough-azz industrial sites. The only problem I can think of with the Deere z is that nobody makes blades to fit the 7-iron deck, except Deere, and I can't find gator blades to fit it. Other-wise I"m really pleased with it. I can't wait to demo one of the new Deere/Dane ztrs coming out the first of next year.:cool:

3. MWS LAWN

MWS LAWN LawnSite Member

Hey Lee. I don't have the 7-iron deck but I think the blades are the same. I bought it the year before that deck came out. My local hardware store found gators for me. They are a little thinner than the jd blades, but they cut wonderful. I'll try to get some order numbers for you and pass them on.

4. lee b

lee b LawnSite Fanatic

I would appreciate that very much, but the 7-iron blades have a much bigger bolt hole than most of the older style blades. Yours may have the same size hole, my bolt has a 15/16" head {ca't remember the actual bolt size}. Thanks

5. MWS LAWN

MWS LAWN LawnSite Member

Lee, thats the same size as mine. I beleive the bolt is around 1/2 in. give or take 1/8

6. 1stclasslawns

1stclasslawns LawnSite Senior Member

Local JD dealer lent a friend a 60 " cut Ztrak while his other was down for a couple days, He loved it till he ran my Dane and another friends Grass Hopper.
    He said he liked my dane better though.

A buddy that is the chief mechanic at JD told me to stay away from them he said he has more repair notice sheets from the factory for the Ztrak then anything else he has ever seen at deere but that was the first year after they came out.

I am not trying to flame your equipment just pass on what experience I have had with them.

Lee, just wait till youve ran a dane. I think you'll see why they bought them out.

Jim

7. lee b

lee b LawnSite Fanatic

I've seen a picture of the new ones and the specs, it doesn't look like anything Deere or Dane has built before. If they take the best that both have to offer I believe they'll have a really good mower. Looking forward to trying one, dealer told me they'll be out in January.

8. MWS LAWN

MWS LAWN LawnSite Member

Hey natural. Thanks for the input. The best advantage of the Z is the ablity to stick to a hillside. I cut some step areas and it holds like glue, not to mention the knobbies I had order for it. No mid-mount I ever demoed could stay on those hills and talk about a scarry ride to the bottom!! I only know of the grasshopper and walker that offer front mounts. I demoed a walker, way to slow. Another suprising element of the Z is the net power to the deck the mower outputs. The 20hp kohler of the Z seamed to put out more than the mid-mounts with the 25 hp.

9. AltaLawnCare

AltaLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

Have you seen the new John Deere line? I think they are due in at Phillips in March of next year. 3 models that look exactly like the Super Surfers, only with 7 iron decks! Ray told me they were not going with the commercial Gret Dane Chariot look-A-Like, only a sit down home owner type Z, so I guess the Z-trac will still be the main sit down type commercial Z offered from Phillips.

If you go by there, Ray can make you a copy of the spec sheet for the JD standers.

BTW, does yours have the '7-iron' deck'? If so how does the cut speed compare, and wet cutting ability compare with what you've run before?
    --Thanks.

10. AltaLawnCare

AltaLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

Woops,
    Mike, just read your post where you don't have the 7-Iron deck.

Has anyone compared the 7 iron deck to the Toro SFS deck, Gravely, or Dixie Chopper in heavy wet grass????