JD Z225 or Toro Z4220

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Dead Grass, Jun 2, 2008.

1. Dead Grass

Dead Grass LawnSite Member

I'm think'n one of these zero t's may be a better way for me to go in the long haul instead of a wbh ??

It'll be for residential use only .

I'm look'n at these 2 models due to price .

Which one would you pick for your own and why ?

Thanx for your help !! :)

2. freshprince94

freshprince94 LawnSite Bronze Member

The JD looks more well-built.

3. Dead Grass

I thought so too . :)

I kinda wonder about the BS engine on the JD ? That motor also doesn't use a spin filter , nor does it have a pressurized oiling system .

Good , bad .., or does it really matter for home use ?

4. dago52

dago52 LawnSite Member

I would not buy nothing without an oil filter. You may want to look at some other options like Hustler, Exmark, or even Dixon. They are offering great financing right now and will be able to service your equiment. Try to bring your lawn mower back to the big box store for service ans see what they tell you. You may save some money up front, but long term you will spend more.

5. Dead Grass

I checked out both of these rigs on the dealer show room floors . Not at Home Cheapo (or) Lowest quality ... :)

Not to be a dick or anything . Buuuut ...., Why is it such a big deal about oil filters for non-commercial rigs anyway ? :confused:

Okaaay ..., I know .., I know .... You get what you pay for ... And a filtering system is deff a benefit ...... But if it truely didn't work correctly after all these years on all of the millions of lawn products out there in the world with out them , wouldn't the manufacturers stop offer'n them on the higher end consumer rigs ??

I mean IMO....., 3k is alot for the average joe to shell out to mow a lawn . Well it is for me anyways .. :eek:

6. dago52

dago52 LawnSite Member

It seems like you already know your answer. If I had to choose betweem the two, I would go with the JD. The oli filter will give any engine longer life by keeping the trash from getting into the head. When trash get into the head there can possibly be valve damage. All I am saying is that when I buy anything I want it to last forever. It may be overkill, but remember five years down the road when you say, damn I should have bought that other mower.

Good Luck

7. Dead Grass

I still don't know what I want . :)

dago .., When you say you'd pick the JD . Is it because of their back ground in the industry or do you really see the differences just by eye ?

Look'n at these things from from a person who knows nothing about what a lawn product should be , it is very difficult to judge one product from another just by the brand tag .

For instance , like in cars now a days . For me , they all seem to look like each other as it makes it hard to pick one from the other just by it's looks .

I've looked at alot of equal priced machines in the last couple of weeks , and all of these lower end machines are start'n to almost all look alike from one manufacturer to another .

When I was look'n at Cub Cadet , I saw that their tractor models are being made with alot more plastic panels than the others on the scene .

Does this also indicate that the mechanical stuff on them also is being cheesed out too ?

For a person who is just gett'n into this stuff , it is really beyond me on how you really can tell buy look'n at them on the show room floor and the guy is tell'n you why his stuff is the best and the one you just looked at down the way is a P.O.S. ..

Thanx for your help !! :)

8. lawnstriper23

lawnstriper23 LawnSite Senior Member

I looked at both of these units and went with the JD. My neighbor has the Toro and that thing has been repaired at least 6 times already (he bought it last Spring). I am not by all means a mechanical wizard, but JD has been around forever and have a great reputation in the industry.
    As for the comment about taking your unit back to the big box store, that is why you fill out the warranty card or register it online so you can take it to any JD dealer for repairs or servicing. Just because you buy it from a big box store doesn't mean you have to take it there for repairs or servicing. Hell, I bought my Z225 from Home Depot and had it recently repaired (my own doing when changing the blades) at my local JD dealer. So don't let that be an issue when deciding on your purchase.
    The Hustlers, Exmarx, Scags, etc are excellent products, but for homeowners that use these machines for residential use, these products discussed are just fine. Sure I would love to have another Hustler MFT like I use to have, but the price tag is just to steep for some of us.
    I say get what you can afford, but do your research on the product and company. I use Consumer Reports for many of my purchases and the JD Z225 was one of the best they tested (I think it was the May 2008 issue). Good luck with your purchase and keep us posted...

9. lawnstriper23

lawnstriper23 LawnSite Senior Member

I would also like to mention that the Home Depot where I bought mine from actually has the same JD dealer, that I have my unit repaired or serviced at, look over the units before they hit the showroom floor. They even put their dealer sticker on the machine stating that they certified the unit. So these units are not just unboxed and dragged out to the showroom floor.

10. ltd

ltd LawnSite Member

I sit on JD I like it controls levers, seem well designed, I leaned toward for JD for their supports materials also. It's round deck do major impact fo quality of cut.