JD zero turn

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lsylvain, Apr 26, 2001.

1. lsylvain

lsylvain LawnSite Senior Member

I was at a local John deere dealer yesterday. They have come out with a ztr lawn tractor. It looks like a regular lawn tractor but it's 0 turn. Just thought it was neet.

2. davesgs75

davesgs75 LawnSite Member

I looked it up on the John Deere Home page, It's Spec sheet stated it has a top speed of 5mph, if i remember right. It listed the price of $4999.00.

3. danlawnser

danlawnser LawnSite Senior Member

I am planning on buying the LT 155 in the next couple of weeks for a back up mower. My dealer told me that the SS Series is more for homeowners. Personally I would rather have a hydro walkbehind for the money.

4. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

If this is the tractor where all 4 wheels steer, then what you are looking at is a repainted Scotts garden tractor. A couple of years ago, Montgomery Ward was selling them. I guess JD picked them up when they Bought out the Scotts lawn and garden line.

5. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

nope- i think this is more like the zer steer they have at loews for 2999. two small levers where the steering wheel was with funny casters where the front wheels were. maybe a heavier version for homeowners . dave

6. DeepDivot

DeepDivot LawnSite Member
    from Kansas

The new JD is a zero turn, but uses a steering wheel, and some kind of complicated gear drive (no hydro motors). It didn't appear to me to be as heavy duty as some of the commercial units, but perhaps more for a large home site.

7. lsylvain

lsylvain LawnSite Senior Member

It's definatly not for commercial use. Just a ztr lawn tractor. I just thought it was neet.