jd ztr 54" help!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bridges, Jul 7, 2001.

1. bridges

bridges LawnSite Member
    from RI

I have an jd ztr with a 54" deck and the deck is to low on one
    side. HOw the heck do you level it? i now where the adjustment from left to right is but where should it be at and what do you use to make the deck level. And the front to back adjustment? where should that be at? The deck is way off and i can't get help from my dealer.

Thank you Tony

2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

first of all, get your tires with the same pressure in the back left and right tires and then do the same on the front tires at the pressure they should be.

Put your mower on a flat surface such as concrete that is level. Measure each side and then adjust until they are same. From front to back, the front should be about 1/4" lower in the front than the back.

3. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Good Luck,
    I had a JD 60" ztr that had the same problem, (along with many others). The manual has detailed instructions on leveling the deck. That didn't work. The dealer worked on it twice with no improvement. It also had a bad problem with scalping at mowing heights less than 3.5". My solution: After fighting this piece of junk for 1.5 years, I traded it back to the dealer for a Toro.
    BTW, do you know that the height setting numbers on the adjusting handle/bracket have no relation to the real cutting height. Mine cut 2.o" at the 3" setting. :angry:

4. bridges

bridges LawnSite Member
    from RI

Thank you for the replys. So you go by the deck and not the blades?

5. Dave

Dave LawnSite Senior Member
    from RI

always go by the blades as the deck dosen't cut the lawn the blades do

6. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

When I refered to " leveling the deck",I was using the term JD uses in the owners manual. You actually block up the deck and then measure blade heights as per instructions.The instructions are on pages 30 - 34 in my JD book.