JD9 verses Chemlawn gun

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by (wi) Roots, Oct 23, 2007.

1. (wi) Roots

(wi) Roots LawnSite Member
    from 9

While applying herbicide which gun do you use and why?

2. (wi) Roots

from 9

How much do you give to your employees. When do you give it to them and how do you do it?

3. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Chenlawn gun. However---I love to make little modifictions. I added a 12 inch extension to the front of mine. Keeps solution off your pants and gives me a little extra reach. I use the white nozzle at 3.25 gallons per minute--very low drift.

I recalibrated today. I discovered that I was covering about 1300 sqft per minute. Applying about 2.5 gallons per thousand. Last time I calibrated i was applying 2.8 gallons per minute. So...my weed control is 12 percent light. I can apply a little more and still be at label rate.

4. bug-guy

bug-guy LawnSite Senior Member

we used
    jd-9 for shrubs
    chemlawn for fert, insect and herb. apps
    did same as rig above
    then went to a ball valve w/ pvc amd white tip
    guns got too exspensive

5. (wi) Roots

from 9

Doesn't the extra 12 inches make the wrist work harder? I spray 2 gallons per 1ooo sq. ft. Which equal 87 gallons per acer at a walking speed for me at normal pace of 20 sec. per 100 ft. (or simply 100gallon per acer.) use a gallon tip.

Jd-9 are used strictly for T/S. and Insecticide/Fungicide treatments to lawns.

6. RigglePLC

I don't spray with the wrist--no wrist flicking for me. I keep the wrist straight, and move the forearm. And I move it relatively slowly. The gun extension caused no wrist problems. (It is a short piece of plastic hose.)

When spraying, I think I cover about 39 feet in 20 seconds--about 2 miles per hour. Swath about 7 feet wide.

7. (wi) Roots

from 9

Sound like I'll have to make one and try it! I'll send you one of my tip!

8. RigglePLC

Thanks for the tip.

The threads on a Chemlawn gun are about garden hose threads. So you need a female hose end, 12 inches of hose, and a male hose end. Screw it all together and you have a longer reach Chemlawn gun. Less solution on your pants.

9. Green Dreams

Green Dreams LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Post up a pic if you can. I'd like to see what you are talking about.

10. RigglePLC

Green dreams,
    I will try to post a pic of my Chemlawn spray gun and my gun extension. Very old, the tubing is probably from a TruGreen hose from way way back. Plastic fittings work best. Try different lengths and nozzles until you find what is comfortable for you. And has the least amount of drift. Windy days might require the white nozzle. No need for hose clamps, if it fits tight. Pressure is low in the nozzle area.

S3500041.jpg