JDL fert prices dropped big time

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by americanlawn, Nov 16, 2009.

1. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

I was pleasantly surprised last week when I received a quote from JDL.

Less than $15 per bag for 14 -x - x w/.43+% Stonewall. It's also a pcscu fert formulation that we like (quite similar to XCU).

We're waiting a few weeks for other quotes to come in, but I was shocked at the low price that JDL offered.

Anybody else see JDL starting to compete with others? rscvp, thanks.

2. CHARLES CUE

CHARLES CUE LawnSite Silver Member

They sent me a nice little book with all there equipment, fertlizers and pestaicides in it and a 250.00 off coupon off my next equipment purchase but no prices i would be scared to ask
    Charles Cue

3. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

I never got that -- just a fax with about 8 different choices for 2010 round one (pre w/fert) pricing. (truckload pricing). We'll wait & see what CPS & Zimco has to offer.

BTW I appreciated your help regarding pcscu.....We got a fine product & saved money. Thanks

4. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

Larry,

I have always had awesome luck with Lesco. They usually always beat everyone's prices.

Glad you are getting more competitive prices. How many ton of Pre do you use (PM me if you don't want to share).

I would think you would get the max discount for sure with the size of your business.

I got my Pre about 60 days ago and we got a 13-0-0 with 30%PPSCU and the prices I got this year were cheaper then I have ever paid!

5. jbturf

jbturf LawnSite Bronze Member

im gonna start getting some pricing tom--
    has jdl mentioned any offers or early order, terms etc?

6. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

i can only hope we see better pricing for 2010. i have not checked yet but will do so in december and place my pre order. i did get better prices this year than in 2008, so that was good.

7. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

Good luck to you if your area gets ravaged with drought & you need to renovate a lot of turf late next summer after applying .43% prodiamine in the spring. :waving:

That stuff has too much of an A.I. half-life in the soil profile for it's own good. Barricade should have never been pushed into the turf arena because of this very reason.
    And unfortunately, many, many few fall renovation failures are never linked back to the spring round of prodiamine, or... naive contractor(s) didn't know enough about the chemistry to know any better, anyway! :cry:

8. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

i have expereinced renovation failure a few times due to this fact, that is why we use a lesser app rate of barricade. i cant remember now, but much less than .43%!

i think i will be using this one more year or so and switching it up again to dimension or maybe some new chemistry yet to be released or just new on the market period.

9. MnLefty

MnLefty LawnSite Senior Member

Come on Marcos and Grassman, you guys both know it's pounds of AI on the ground, not in the bag, that makes the difference.

14-x-x .43 barricade applied at 150 lbs/A would be basically .5lb N/k and .65lbs prodiamine per Acre. That's not an obnoxious rate of barricade for the upper midwest. Now if you go up to 200lbs/A or more and get to Barricade rates of.86lbs/A and higher... then I agree there's going to be residual enough to matter.

The other thing about the extended residual of Barricade is that it allows guys up here to go out earlier without as much fear of their pre-emerge "running out" before crabgrass season ends. When you've got 6 weeks of pre-emerge to put out, not everybody is going to get perfect timing with their app. Barricade on the early ones can help extend residual and avoid having to do split apps.

10. tlg

tlg LawnSite Senior Member

I just got 2010 pricing from JDL. About a 10% decrease across the board on fert. Not a huge amount but I'll take what a I can get. I was really thinking we would see a more significant drop in fert overall considering all factors. Then, as with everything, once prices go up it's not real likely that we will ever see a return to what they were a few years ago. If there is a better deal out there I have not seen it.