JDL/ Lesco Merger News UPDATE

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Frontier-Lawn, Oct 25, 2007.

1. Frontier-Lawn

Frontier-Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

Here's a letter i got today from JDL/ Lesco, about there merger news.

Attached Files:

2. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

Yeah, I got the same letter today. And just as I said in a different blog 'Are Lesco mowers unerrated?' (sic) last night, Deere's setting the stage to gradually wipe the name of LESCO right off the face of the planet, at least in terms of the stuff they historically compete with- mowers. The buyout of Lesco by Deere was an aggressive one, despite the letters like this you see now. I know the letter says they're going to 'keep' the Lesco mowers in production because of the outcry from the public, but, mark my words, look for a gradual change in the paint color and logo! :walking:

And not only that, but probably a continuation of the 'plasticication' (or rather, the 'cheapening') of the heart and soul of their mowers -just as Lesco had started doing itself after the production of them had left Florida in the late 90's. In fact, I'd say, before the end of 2010, they'll ALL become Deere's mowers, and it'll be very gradual, by their own design. And this letter you posted is just the 1st step toward that further 'cheapification'!

3. dbear

dbear LawnSite Senior Member

I might be wrong, but I'd have to agree with this statement, at least around my area. The local JD/Scag dealer is a 4 store monopoly, unless you're willing to travel 50+ miles each way to another. They only relatively recently (maybe 2 years ago) acquired the 4th store by buying out another JD/Hustler dealer, and quickly stopped stocking and promoting the Hustler brand. They'll special order one if you want, but be prepared to wait.

You'd think that Cub would step up and buy the mower manufacturing end of it. Although I suppose that either way, the Lesco brand would probably go bye-bye.

4. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Yes it is true... I got the same letter via mail today.

Thanks for posting this up so I didn't have to, as it has saved me much time I do not have today.

I shall return.... at some point.... to share my thoughts....

5. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

[QUOTE

You'd think that Cub would step up and buy the mower manufacturing end of it. Although I suppose that either way, the Lesco brand would probably go bye-bye.[/QUOTE]

Cub already owns the manufacturing operations that build/built Lesco equipment. They bought out Lesco's interest in the manufacturing several years ago.

6. T Total Lawncare

T Total Lawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from The deep south

Can you clean out some of your PM box so I can send you something?

7. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

Cub already owns the manufacturing operations that build/built Lesco equipment. They bought out Lesco's interest in the manufacturing several years ago.[/QUOTE]

John Deere might buy Cub and get them out of the way before it is over, there pockets are deep enough to take on anybody they want to.

8. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

I haven't been keeping up with this merger thing. Does this mean the Lesco stores will be going away? Tony

9. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I got the same letter today. Previously JD said all of the Lesco lawn products would be moved to JD Landscapes dealers so this effectively seals the fate of Lesco stores.

10. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

NO! Read the letter again, carefully this time, king-o-sa-bee! :hammerhead: