Jdl Phone Call

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by superchad, May 30, 2008.

1. superchad

superchad LawnSite Member

Just wondering if anyone else got a call from JDL today. My local branch called me to tell me fert was going up $4.00 a bag June 10th. I really like my local JDL guys and they bend over backwards for me, but this is nuts. Let me know if any of you guys(or gals) have gotten this call. I use 18-20 pallets per app so I know its not because I only buy a bag or two.

2. kappa915

kappa915 LawnSite Member

Not 5 minutes after reading this post my JDL rep in Georgia called me and informed me of a price increase on June 10th also. I purchase around 12-14 pallets per application.

3. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Super

Wholesale Fertilizer prices are increasing faster than any other commodity on the world market today. Increased usage by both China and Brazil has demand exceeding supply. USA Farmers are now # 3 in fertilizer usage world wide. Don't look for it to get better.

4. k911lowe

k911lowe LawnSite Senior Member

the ptrice of everything has gone forever.nothing stays the same.china and other nations taking advantage of their resources and importing a lot of commodities that we were getting cheaper.

5. kppurn

kppurn LawnSite Senior Member

I was just in Lesco about an hour ago and was told the news. Same thing, $4 increase June 10th. I will be stocking up before then.

Some products I buy have just about doubled over the last three years.

6. LIBERTYLANDSCAPING

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

Hey Ric, Remember when someone told us that Nitrogen prices were coming down?:hammerhead: :dizzy: I think you call him pasturegrass? I'm still waiting for that;)

7. Grandview

Grandview LawnSite Gold Member
    from WI

Looks like locking in on December and March prices was a good investment.

8. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

I got the call about 9am this morning while running my route. 3+ bucks a bag more June 10th. I'm sure glad I raised my prices substantially this year. I know some guys around here who didn't...God help em! There'll be some who go out of business before this is done. I have no doubt...

9. tlg

tlg LawnSite Senior Member

We raised our prices, we pre-ordered all our fert for this season, we didn't however, have a crystal ball to for see the future. These increases on fertilizer are just beginning. The outlook is not real good. Six months ago our fert prices were as stable as could be. In a ten year time span our prices on fertilizer only fluctuated a few dollars. Now it's a daily occurrence it seems. It's unbelievable to me how this has transpired. Blame it on supply and demand, corn for ethanol, crude oil increases, natural gas etc.... the bottom line is we are getting screwed by forces we can't control. Makes it real hard to run this kind of business. Our customers can only pay so much as they are victims of all this too. Capitalism run wild I guess. No JDL did not mention the increase today. Maybe they were scared to. Did get a great price on crosscheck though. Almost half the cost from what we paid for Talstar last year.

10. PSUTURFGEEK

PSUTURFGEEK LawnSite Senior Member

I actually heard this was coming about ten days ago, TCS who makes the fert for UAP and LESCO announced this increase for both of them, I looked into it pretty good today after talking with both companies, the increase is pretty much the same, the only thing is jdl was already lower than uap on the combo products b4 this increase. Freight is the biggest reason I'm being told. Also if you can get it in your barn b4 june 11th the increase doesn't apply.