1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

JDL Rochester MN going out of biz??

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by DA Quality Lawn & YS, Oct 4, 2010.

1. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Got a letter yesterday stating my local JDL here in So. MN is going out of biz. Called them today and confirmed it. Couldn't believe it, a city of over 100K with lots of big LCO's?? Where are they going to get their products? There is a Reinder's in town but whenever I am there I never see too much action unless it is irrigation related supplies. Is everyone here going to Fleet Farm to buy fert/chems?? I hope they are, so that when I apply quality products, my work stands out...
  2. castlerockmo

castlerockmo LawnSite Senior Member

JDL closed the Tulsa store too! I hear JDL is hurting, they have cut the staff in half here at the Springfield Missouri store. Its just a matter of time before that one closes.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  3. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

They closed a few around here too. I have no close supply of chemicals...its a 30 minute drive for me anywhere.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  4. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

I think JDL is just cutting the fat. Didn't they buy out a bunch of Lescos?

The one JDL in Peoria is pretty busy and they supply lots of LCO's in central il.

It's not a surprise though that they are closing some stores, I couldn't get over how many people work in the one in Peoria. Seemed like a lot of waste.
  5. robertsturf

robertsturf LawnSite Bronze Member

They are closing the Independence, Mo. store too!
  6. Greenery

Greenery LawnSite Senior Member

good riddance!!!
  7. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Same hear. Our local JDL store now looks like a ghost town. Mainly selling "sprinkler heads", etc.

Majority of guys here are buying their fert from Agrium or Zimco.

Our local LESCO used to be busy as heck. Not anymore. I remember getting 3 semi-loads of fert (66 ton) from LESCO that was shipped from Sebring, FL. 1500 miles away, and it was still the best price. :confused:
  8. White Gardens

The JDL in Peoria supplies most of central IL, outside of Chicago, I don't know of any other JDL store.

It's about a 30 minute drive to their store, but, I can call and order anything I need and they'll ship it in 2 days free of any shipping charge.

That might be the only cancellation for you guys who are loosing stores, might want to call the nearest one and see if they'll ship supply's for you.
  9. Greenery

Greenery LawnSite Senior Member

Or better yet find a new vendor nearby.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  10. White Gardens

Oh ya, but some guys don't have a good vendor nearby. We have an FS with a custom turf division in Bloomington. Even though I like their products and service, they can't compete against JDL.

Gotta be some re-structuring or something, I was looking at some of the old articles from when JDL bought Lesco and they were talking up and down about not closing stores and letting people go.

Makes me wonder, if Lesco was such a successful, National company, why would they just up a sell like they did. They must of knew their business model wasn't going to work after opening tons of branches, and found a good sucker in JDL.